Is an 8" monitor too bass for a smallish room?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

losthighway
resurrected

Is an 8" monitor too bass for a smallish room?

Post by losthighway » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:31 pm

I am continuing to comb through the maze of contradictory information on monitors. I've read some opinions that would lead me to believe all of the 8" monitors I've been comparing might be too bassy for my control room (180 square feet). Meanwhile I have shuffled back and forth between

KRK RP8
KRK V8II
Event Precision 8
Event TR8

Obviously there are some cheaper than others up here. I have some serious construction costs going on around the studio and I was going to freeze up the gear acquisition but somewhere in the last three projects I have seriously outgrown my crappy monitors.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:50 am

No they aren't too bassy for your control room. Set it up right and add good acoustic treatment and it'll sound good.

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:15 am

you will definitely need an 8" woofer to hear the lower frequencies anything smaller than that just can't produce them. room size doesn't matter if they are too bassy or not, that would be acoustics. and for your monitor choice, I almost bought the KRK V8's until I interned at a studio with Genelec 1038a's? The ones with the 8" woofer, then when I had the money saved up and went back and listened to the KRK's and Event's again there was no doubt in my mind that the Events blew away the KRK's and I have never looked back, I love them a lot, too bad they stopped making them.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:09 am

Thanks all. There is almost too much information about monitors on the internet, and of course a lot of it is not reliable.

Matt, your story fits another I read and helps me make up my mind. Obviously KRK V8's are nicer than the Rokits, so if you (and others) find the Events better, than I can just forget KRK altogether. I'm just going to save my money and get a nicer used pair of Precision 8's. THanks.

snoopy23
gettin' sounds

Post by snoopy23 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:11 am

When I was recently monitor shopping I almost settled on a set of the mackie MR 5's. I liked their range, but the low end was definitely lacking. I figured I would just add a sub down the road. However, I found a set of the mackie MR 8's online for a great deal and grabbed them. Voila! plenty of bass, no need to add a sub. If you set the parameters and add some sound control to your room a set of 8" speakers should serve you quite well.
Drummers might not be the smartest, but we are probably the strongest!

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:44 pm

i love my tr8's. best bang for the buck....mixes translate very well and no ear fatigue.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:21 pm

sparkyness
audio school graduate

Post by sparkyness » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:46 am

casey campbell wrote:i love my tr8's. best bang for the buck....mixes translate very well and no ear fatigue.
Can say the same about my Event ASP8's. Plenty of low-end. I'm currently stuck in a small-ish room but it's acoustically treated.