Optigan and SK-1, oh my! (or, help my ass out, please...)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

j_howell
pushin' record

Optigan and SK-1, oh my! (or, help my ass out, please...)

Post by j_howell » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:47 pm

Want to do me a really huge favor, just because we're both sweet, kind, creative people?

Since I have no access to an Opti in these parts (and believe me, I've tried to track down a working one reasonably close with no luck), and have neither the cash nor inclination for buying software, a controller, etc, I have come up with an admittedly cheesy but possibly brilliant solution...

Which is where you, dear Optigan owner, come in. I need a handful of short (two seconds is more than enough) recordings of Opti sounds (especially the string sounds) played in different octaves, but just of an "A" note. Why, you ask? So I can feed 'em into a Casio SK-1, of course, and have it play in tune. Guerilla lofi goodness.

Of course, if I can do anything in reciprocity, I'd be more than happy to. I'm kinda thinking that if this idea works out well enough, I might try to put up a website that would be an online archive of such recordings as mp3s and/or .wavs of any number of things, with the SK-1, SK-5, and similar Yamaha thing with a model number I can't remember right now in mind...a sample library, for free of course, of sounds made for anyone to use. Need to play 'em live with your SK-1? Put 'em on your iPod or burn a cd and use your old walkman as your sample presets! Ghetto? Kinda. But for those of us with access to an SK-1 but not a mellotron or an orchestra or a piece of metal that happens to resonate at A=440, it could be great. And portable. Plus, you could upload your own sounds to share...it could be, if nothing else, an entertaining diversion for a small subset of us who might enjoy such a thing...
I like pie.

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:27 pm

I have nothing practical (like the samples you're looking for ;) ) to contribute, but I think this is a fantastic idea. Ever since I took the noise a microphonic tube made when I tapped the top of a preamp, ran it through an octave-down pedal, recorded that, stuck it in a software sampler, and used it as a really cool-sounding synthy bassline, I've been wondering where I can find neat-and-unusual samples that I could abuse in a similar fashion. I was thinking of some weirder, non-traditional ones, but I'd love access to usable Optigan samples as well.

I have nothing like an Optigan to upload, but if you get that database together I'd be glad to tune the microphonic tube noise and send it your way if anyone's interested in it. :roll:
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

j_howell
pushin' record

Post by j_howell » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:36 pm

Absolutely! I'd love some microphonic tube noise goodness! I have a history of intrument building/ junk intruments/manipulated stuff/etc experimental whatnots myself, and the idea of using an SK-1 and an Opti recording just kinda set the gears in motion for the idea of doing this...I think, ultimately, there are plenty of more unusual and awesome sounds that could be made and shared, and it would be a beautiful thing. I know nothing about creating or running a website, but I think this is a great reason to learn!

That said, if anbody has an Opti and could help me out, I would really appreciate it! They're not easy to come by in KC. Have a recording project coming up that could benefit from some Opti sounds, even if they were even lower-fi than an Opti itself. Thanks!
I like pie.

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: Optigan and SK-1, oh my! (or, help my ass out, please..

Post by cgarges » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:42 am

j_howell wrote:I'm kinda thinking that if this idea works out well enough, I might try to put up a website that would be an online archive of such recordings as mp3s and/or .wavs of any number of things, with the SK-1, SK-5, and similar Yamaha thing with a model number I can't remember right now in mind...a sample library, for free of course, of sounds made for anyone to use.
I think this is a potentially cool idea, but just be sure that anyone who's willing to give you these sounds is aware of this. Some people might get bent out of shape about supplying you with some sounds for your own use and then having you making them available to everyone for free. If they know about it beforehand, you won't run the risk of upsetting anyone.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

j_howell
pushin' record

Post by j_howell » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:53 pm

Of course! I wouldn't dream of using anything of anyone else's without permission...in fact, I've recently been on the other end of a similar situation, a piece of music of mine was used without asking me first or crediting me correctly, and it made me angry enough that I'm not friends with someone I was very close to because of it. Not getting proper credit where it's due is bullshit!

Maybe I should clarify a little. I was saying more that if using an mp3 as a sample for an SK-1 worked well enough in the first place, that building a library of them would be nice. Wanting some Opti sounds was more for me, unless someone didn't mind something like that...
I like pie.