So I won this fancy mic...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mhuxtable
alignin' 24-trk

So I won this fancy mic...

Post by mhuxtable » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:22 am

So last December, I won a really amazing mic!

I won it thru the EQ magazine kick drum contest. When I found out I won I almost shit my pants. Ive never won anything before!! I even called my mom.

Anyway, I won the JZ BH-1 black hole condenser mic. To be sure, it is a fabulous sounding mic. But to make it shine I really need a good preamp, preferably a tube one. I am thinking about the Brick or (if I can get one that doesnt hum and buzz) the EHx 12AY7 Mic Pre.

But yeah, it is funny cos I was setting up a new recording space, was saving for a probably not so amazing condenser (AKG or something) and then this came along! Definitely the most expensive anything I have ever owned. But it feels cool to actually win something, not just for entering but because you got selected for your work!

Cheers to contests!

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:31 am

Nice prize! I checked those out at AES and they sounded very smooth, I liked them.

I believe the Black Hole is U87 based (that's what they had set up for comparison at their booth) and U87s seem best complimented by
a rich transformer or tube based preamp. A 1073 clone would probably be a perfect compliment, but they are all pretty pricey. Not from experience with the pair, but I bet the Daking Mic Pre One would be a great match for not a lot of money (which is relative, as they are $675...). You could also try a Universal Audio M610/Solo 610, they are around the same price. Of course, buying used will save you some money.

But, in the price range of the 12AY7 and Brick, there really aren't a lot of choices, and those are probably the best ones.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

mhuxtable
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mhuxtable » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:35 am

yeah I had looked at the solo 610. That is about probably my max price range...and used mic pres seem to be few and far between around here (Raleigh, NC) for whatever reason and I have a serious aversion to eBay but an addiction to Craigslist.

But yes I am very excited about this mic. So far it sounds great on vox (even just using the preamps on my Firebox). I just cant wait to really hear its full sound.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:41 am

Wow thats a great score....i gotta start entering some contests! Looks/sounds like a cool mic, very useful for many applications.

As far as a mic pre...i was looking at everything and finally decided on the Universal Audio 710 Twin Finity. It sounds really awesome and competes with other more expensive gear. It has tube and solid state and you can blend them together and get the desired sound. Really awesome little unit...I want to buy another. It's handmade by UA...has a stellar warranty...and sounds awesome on VOX or as a di for bass/guitars. I even ran my '66 Mosrite Celebrity through it into my studio monitors and it sounded really great. It has a similar sound to my '73 Princeton Reverb (w/o reverb of coarse!). Super rich and full or warmth, plus you can blend the more colored tube side and dirty it up.

Right now Front End Audio has them on sale for $699...thats $100 bucks off. Guitar Center matched the price with tax for me. Yes it was pretty expensive...but it sounds fantastic and a big improvement over my little ART TubeMP and the Focusrite pre's in my Digi 003.
Here's the link:
http://www.frontendaudio.com/ProductDet ... 4&CartID=1
When you add it to the shopping cart the prices drops to $699.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:37 am

My go to Pre for Vocals, would have to be the UA M610, got it used for $650. Turns almost any mic into a useable vocal mic. Brought my RE-20 to life.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:22 am

Ryan Silva wrote:My go to Pre for Vocals, would have to be the UA M610, got it used for $650. Turns almost any mic into a useable vocal mic. Brought my RE-20 to life.
Also and awesome choice. These sound great with nearly anything. But $650 used is a pretty hard to find price. Usually I see them go for $100 or so more than that....but if you keep searching you can usually find what you want for a good price. It seems like all the UA stuff sells for just a bit under new prices on ebay.....it's encouraging when buying new UA gear cause you know the resale is good. Plus for a small bench fee plus parts(unless it's still under warranty than its free) they can repair almost anything. I really have grown to like the quality and craftmenship of their stuff.....they are representing their Dad proudly IMO.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:26 pm

A little spam here but I have a Black Lion Audio Bellari MP 105 tube preamp for sale here;

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=62142

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:14 pm

The Brick is nothing special sonically. Plus the physical design just blows. it's a long rectangle, with no mounting options, almost as dumb as the freaking Blue Robbie thing...

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:48 am

Well, the Blue Robbie does have a rack mount kit that's about $10. How it's mounted, I have no idea. Those things are $400-$500 new on eBay, which might be a good deal? I've never used one, but thought about it.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:11 am

I can't believe any of these things are actually real. You mean, you, a normal recording nerd like the rest of us, won the free mic giveaway? that's just awesome. I'm so cynical, I always just assume those go to employees or no-where.

And it sounds like it went to somebody who needs it. Even better. I'm happy for you.
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:46 pm

drumsound wrote:The Brick is nothing special sonically. Plus the physical design just blows. it's a long rectangle, with no mounting options, almost as dumb as the freaking Blue Robbie thing...
I have to agree...nothing special as a mic pre, but it is pretty solid as a bass di.

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:36 pm

InvalidInk wrote:A little spam here but I have a Black Lion Audio Bellari MP 105 tube preamp for sale here;

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=62142
I just got a used, stock MP 105 the other day. Swapped whatever tube it came with out and put in an old RCA 5965, and I have to say I'm extremely impressed. I thought I was just buying a cheap color box, but it's actually a very usable pre; I think it's going to wind up competing with my Rane MS1 as my go-to "random idea" pre. I'll be swapping out the ICs in a week or so; if that makes a big difference, I'm gonna be really excited. :D
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits