Anyone ever intentionally clipped a converter?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Anyone ever intentionally clipped a converter?

Post by wren » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:52 pm

So, last week or so I had one of those random 3-a.m. ideas; I turned on my computer, plugged my Microkorg into a preamp, and quickly set a level (using headphones). I turned the preamp up until I felt like it sounded good (i.e. a little dirty), looked at the computer's meters, and realized that one of the reasons it sounded a little dirty was because the synth was hitting 0 on the channel's meter. I decided I liked the way it sounded and recorded it, but now I'm kinda having second thoughts: the sound fits the part (which swells in and out rhythmically, clipping the converter when it swells all the way in), but it does sound like converters clipping. I plan on keeping it because I do like the way it sounds, but I'm feeling a little bit insecure about it, I guess. Anyone done anything similar, just out of curiosity? Anyone think clipping a converter is always a bad idea, period? Any other thoughts?
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:07 pm

Well, you know IISGIIG.

I think as long as it sounds like it's on purpose it'll be fine. For me, the annoying types of digital clipping come when you can hear that it's only the loudest attacks making that kind of clicking sound.

A while back, GuitarWorld Magazine did a series on "Dream Pop" where they mentioned some of those guys using digital distortion. I suspect that most of them were probably abusing the input of some digital effect box or other. I've used a DAT machine for a distortion box from time to time. I've also had fun just gaining stuff up "over" 0dbfs ITB. I'd be willing to bet that folks like Trent Reznor and Richard James have done something like this on multi-million-selling records.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:38 pm

ashcat_lt wrote:A while back, GuitarWorld Magazine did a series on "Dream Pop" where they mentioned some of those guys using digital distortion. I suspect that most of them were probably abusing the input of some digital effect box or other.
actually, that was early DSP hardware effects like the Yamaha REX-50 that had a distortion algorithm in them.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

mvollrath
gettin' sounds

Post by mvollrath » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:49 pm

I recorded an instrumental electronic song intentionally digitally clipping (heavily) on every track and it sounded awesome. Very raw. Of course I would only try it when recording very aggressive material. You should try hooking up a synthesizer and driving it hard to see if you like the way your interface deals with it. IISGIIG

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:05 pm

Atari Teenage Riot, anyone?

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:51 am

RefD wrote:actually, that was early DSP hardware effects like the Yamaha REX-50 that had a distortion algorithm in them.
Well, that's not anywhere near as cool. Kind of shatters...something...from my youth. Thanks. :cry:

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:32 am

RefD wrote:
actually, that was early DSP hardware effects like the Yamaha REX-50 that had a distortion algorithm in them.
Hey, I got one of those! I think I paid US$10 a cuppla years ago; never really used it.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:12 pm

ashcat_lt wrote:
RefD wrote:actually, that was early DSP hardware effects like the Yamaha REX-50 that had a distortion algorithm in them.
Well, that's not anywhere near as cool. Kind of shatters...something...from my youth. Thanks. :cry:
well, it could be that they were punishing the front of the compander section of a funky old MXR DDL or maybe the MXR Pitch Shift Doubler (a great ramp/saw wave LFO rack chorus, which i used to use in series for serious warble) and got some dirt that way.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

SkullChris
takin' a dinner break

Post by SkullChris » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:44 pm

The Scum wrote:Atari Teenage Riot, anyone?
I think you spelled it wrong.

I believe it's spelled ATARI TEENAGE RIOT!!!!!!!!!!
"Live to Win!"
brieflives.bandcamp.com
lubec.bandcamp.com/
hexmachinery.blogspot.com/

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:36 am

SkullChris wrote:
The Scum wrote:Atari Teenage Riot, anyone?
I think you spelled it wrong.

I believe it's spelled ATARI TEENAGE RIOT!!!!!!!!!!
please no.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:48 am

yeah I've done it before. Did it recording drums on a track for my band Stationary Odyssey. We clipped the shit out of some drums, its really crunchy sounding. You can hear it here www.myspace.com/stationaryodyssey and the track is called "Cosmic Eddie Oceanographer"

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:13 am

I haven't. I think it sounds terrible. With the cheap analog stages and PSUs inside most converters they don't sound great to me unless they're used in the lower range anyway. Intentionally clipping them is a step past that shittiness I've found lurking in so many converters.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

mscottweber
pushin' record

Post by mscottweber » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:23 am

I'm gonna agree with rwc. Its true, "if it sounds good it is good", but IMO clipping cheap converters never sounds good. There are tons of other things you can clip that sound awesome though :wink:

David Piper
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by David Piper » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:52 am

Some dance music guys - BT and folks like that - will make one or two samples at the very loudest hits clip, coming into a new section. They want the speaker cone to move as far as it possibly can. Which also, I would think, risks breaking it. Good for people writing dance music. Bad for people owning clubs that play dance music.

What you're talking about is different though, since you're talking about distortion with repeated clipping. I would think there's no problem with it, as long as you gain it back down for mixing.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:36 am

mastered a track yesterday that had a really loud snare (good) that had clipped the converters during tracking (bad). was kind of a drag. once you have that hard clipping sound on there it's tough to get rid of....