Anyone big on using impulses?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Anyone big on using impulses?

Post by metanoiastudios » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:50 am

Are you guys big on using impulses on your mixes? I have been meaning to try this, but (maybe to me) it seems that it's something you'd only do on less important, backing tracks. Have you guys used them on primari tracks, such as guitars, vocals, etc?

I recently discovered that there's also preamp impulses and other cool stuff. I'm kind of interested to try these out the most.
http://www.paulojuarez.com
*Will trade design work for gear!*

henge
studio intern

Post by henge » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:17 pm

Yeah,I just picked up the Acousticas Impulses and they're great!
Anton Evans
Reaper, Intel Core 2 Quad 6600, Soundtoys, BFD2, Pod X3, Fender Vibro Champ, CSR, Smith CR5G, HS80m's, KRK, Stillwell Plugs

http://www.antonevans.com
[url]

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:09 pm

i use the SIR freeware all the time - lead voc - drum verbs - whatever.

hunt around a little - the plates impulses are awesome/
the new rules : there are no rules

xhavepatiencex
takin' a dinner break

Post by xhavepatiencex » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:46 pm

I use sir too, I am a big fan of the impulses I have gathered from around the web for free. I use them on whatever needs reverb.

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Post by metanoiastudios » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:43 am

Yeah, that SIR has enough features for what I want to do. The main thing I've used impulses on so far is to add a little sense of space in the overheads if I have a very dry sound (which I tend to get in my "live room"). Also there's some pretty cool channel and preamp emulators that can sometimes have a nice effect on snares or other percussive instruments.

Anyone know some good impulse websites, besides www.noisevault.com?
http://www.paulojuarez.com
*Will trade design work for gear!*

snoopy23
gettin' sounds

Post by snoopy23 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:59 pm

I generally use impulse when I am orbiting too close to a planet or maneuvering near a space station. Otherwise I stick to warp, it just gets me there faster.
Drummers might not be the smartest, but we are probably the strongest!

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:01 pm

I've used impulses a lot. Convolution reverbs as per usual, and often making custom impulses to mutate tracks. Tuned drone resonances, fluttery frequency-smeared delays and reverbs.

*Any* short-ish audio file can be used as an impulse. If the result sounds too murky, the file may need a 6db per octave high boost slope. (Convolution multiplies low end when you feed standard-spectrum audio into it). I keep a preset in adobe audition set up for a 6db per oct hi boost for this purpose.

Cymbal hits can make cool reverbs. Maraca and shaker hits can make good woody smeared resonances.

Voxengo curve eq has a nice selection of preamp and gear impulses included that you can use or not use. Subtle, but colorful. Voxengo boogex is free and has usable cab impulses.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:49 pm

it took me a little while to get used to the sound of impulse based verbs, but i have found that i absolutely love them now.... very realistic when used properly...

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:59 pm

pipelineaudio made a bunch of gear impulses you can grab (along with other things) at http://stash.reaper.fm/tag/Reverb-Impulses
Slider wrote:"we figured you'd want to use your drum samples and reamp through your amps anyway, so we didn't bother taking much time to get sounds".

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:26 am

I like impulses, especially plates, as stated above. I don't get a lot out of the hardware impulses (ex., a compressor or board impulse).

That said, I really like Cool Edit's "Full Reverb" effect, and it is actually impulse-based.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:35 am

Impulse 'verbs are good, good stuff.

I technique I've been experimenting with is using drumSynth (get it free here) www.threechords.com/hammerhead/drumsynth.shtml

My thing is to make a .wav with the primary frequency a chord or scale tone and using that as the impulse file.

I won't try to describe what putting this on a stem or the master buss sounds like, but I'd say check it out!

Bill
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:35 am

Hi,

I like using them by sampling the acoustic space where I recorded someone, and then if I need an overdub and cannot go to the original studio / space, I have the acoustic impulse of that space.

It does take a little messing, but really good results are possible.

I did this on the latest album I mixed, from Steve Martin.

There were a couple of overdubs that we could not fly to New Jersey for, so I took a little of empty recording from each mic, and built an acoustic impulse space of the studio the band was in. I was able to blend this in with a very dry overdub, and it worked very well.

I also sampled a certain studio chamber, as there were edits done after having recorded the chamber effect, so I needed to recreate the chamber effect on tails of edited sound that did not have the chamber on them.

You can't tell the difference...

As far as purchased impulses, I absolutely love the ones from Spirit Canyon Audio. I have all three sets. They are extremely cool and useful.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:35 am

noeqplease wrote: I did this on the latest album I mixed, from Steve Martin.
Saw him promo'ing it on Colbert; ver' cool.

Relevance?

Well, there's a guy with whom to discuss "impulse control." :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

henge
studio intern

Post by henge » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:44 pm

Just got the Acousticas impulses and am very impressed. Load them up into SIR and your good to go!
Anton Evans
Reaper, Intel Core 2 Quad 6600, Soundtoys, BFD2, Pod X3, Fender Vibro Champ, CSR, Smith CR5G, HS80m's, KRK, Stillwell Plugs

http://www.antonevans.com
[url]

sasha222
studio intern

Post by sasha222 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:02 pm

I'm using altiverb, which is awesome. lots of free impulses on the net for it too. Only problem is it is a cpu hog.. sounds great though.