Which websites or social networks are effective for bands

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ballpein
pushin' record

Post by ballpein » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:22 pm

You can link your Facebook band page up to a Reverb Nation account which hosts music... but like I said, it's all fairly kludgy and lacks the directness and simplicity of myspace.

currentspulledmeunder
audio school graduate

Post by currentspulledmeunder » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:41 am

virb.com is my favorite. Myspace just feels like spam, both as a fan and as a band. It sucks.

Virb is real interaction with other musicians who actually might give a shit about your ideas a musician. You might not make a lot of "fans" there but the quality of the interaction will be better. I think it's better suited for creative musicians.

Also, I think bandcamp.com is the best for putting your music online and creating a last.fm page would be great to do as well.

zachary
alignin' 24-trk

Post by zachary » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:33 am

last.fm!!
trouble clef.

tubetapexfmr
steve albini likes it

Post by tubetapexfmr » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:23 pm

Wow, bandcamp.com is the shiz. This is exactly the kind of web page I wanted. It could look a little fancier, but all the functionality is there. A lot like archive.org, but less like a library. Everyone should check it out.

On to check out virb.com...

BandyLou
alignin' 24-trk

Post by BandyLou » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:32 pm

Anyone have any more feedback on bandcamp? it looks really good...
myspace has gotten spammier, and now their music player only streams. I'm looking around for a good place to host digital album downloads.
soundclick seems okay, but has sort of an internet backwater feel to me. They're trying to get more 'social network-y', which will probably turn out badly, since they're overpopulated with icky hardcore thug rappers.

ballpein
pushin' record

Post by ballpein » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:31 pm

I've been using bandcamp.mu since it launched, no issues at all. I'm pretty sure they do lame encoding, so the mp3s sound pretty sweet. My only wish is that there were an easy way to embed their player into a myspace page.

I really like the simplicity of bandcamp, the fact that I don't have to look at ads or banners. That could change, mind you, as they're going to have to figure out how to make money sooner or later.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:01 pm

I thought of this thread when I read this article.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/03/04/sm ... -the-fall/

I don't think Myspace is going to disappear, but it might be the right time to find a good myspace alternative.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.