Oktava MKL-2500 Mic and Phantom Power?!?!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Oktava MKL-2500 Mic and Phantom Power?!?!

Post by Derrick » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:30 am

Hi,

I have an Oktava MKL-2500 Valve Microphone. I can only run phantom power from my mixing console "all channels powered" or "all channels not powered". Because I need to turn on phantom power to all the channels of my console in order to run other condenser mics, I need to know if it is safe to plug the MKL-2500 power supply into a phantom powered channel? I am aware that there are three versions of power supplies that may have come with the MKL-2500: Russian, British, or Chinese. I have the British version.

Also, does anyone have a file containing the manual for the MKL-2500?

Thank you so much!
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:41 pm

Hi Derrick, got your email - which I deleted by accident along with the Russian language spam.

Its safe to plug apply phantom power to the MKL-2500 PS box - there is an output transformer in the mic that wont let any DC pass through to the mic. However, if one side of the phantom power or cable should fail there is the possibility of putting a current through transformer that could partially magnetize the core. Not disastrous but not idea. Just make sure your phantom supply and cables are good and you'll be ok.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:31 pm

Many thanks to you Michael. So this is safe for all the versions (I have the British one, not the Chinese or Russian one)?

Also, do you know where I might find the manual for this? I looked at and emailed all Oktava sites but no luck.
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.