overheads with two 414's

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jonasdixon
pluggin' in mics

overheads with two 414's

Post by jonasdixon » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:51 am

I am about to do a very hi fi pop song's drums.

And so far everything I've done has been with my KM184's but i want to try out overheads with two 414's

I have one of those X Y mic adapter plates. I usually set my mics in kind of a V shape.

What kind of setup would I use for two 414's?

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:58 am

I see alot of people using them as a spaced pair in live settings. Never tried it myself....but I used a single SDC as an over head and a 414 as an over the shoulder omni mic. That sounded great.

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Re: overheads with two 414's

Post by metanoiastudios » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:03 pm

I just got another 414, so I'm interested to try this out...just haven't had the chance lately. I'd think that a spaced pair would work out best for this situation. You could even do a Mid-Side technique thing in front of the kit if they don't work out as overheads.
http://www.paulojuarez.com
*Will trade design work for gear!*

NeglectedFred
pushin' record

Post by NeglectedFred » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:15 pm

I've never used an XY on drums and been happy about it.. The problem with XY overhead is that all the important stuff ends up in the left (or right depending on mix perspective), and it feels off center. I like my Kick, snare, and hats to blast equally though the mix, but with a big stereo image.

I myself use a pair of 414's for just about anything, but I almost consistently use a mono overhead and stereo room - usually some form of M/S.

I'd recommend this; if you want a good image with 414's in XY as overheads, try placing them at either side of the kit (rather than in front or behind), I'd probably start on the snare side - situated so that one is focused in front of kit and one behind. Haven't tried it myself, but I think I'm going to now.. Seems like everything would be well centered with good stereo image, but still close up for a more dry sound which is probably favorable for hip hop kind of pop?? For rock'n pop though, go with the room idea.
I eat glue.

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:36 pm

Ive done both x/y and spaced pair with 414s and they have both worked well on different occasions. Try it one way, then the other, record both and see which one works for the sound you want. Typically with 414's i like a spaced pair but sometimes it takes a couple try's with moving them around till I find a spacing I really like. -Ryan
myspace.com/blackdiscoballstudio/

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:45 pm

If you do XY, think of centering it over a line running through the kick and snare, rather than the set as a whole... another way to put it would be that the line between the two mics is not parallel to the drumset... this keeps the kick and snare centered.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:17 pm

signorMars wrote:If you do XY, think of centering it over a line running through the kick and snare, rather than the set as a whole... another way to put it would be that the line between the two mics is not parallel to the drumset... this keeps the kick and snare centered.
I've been doing that for a while now and have been quite happy with the results, though not with XY, just thinking of the senter running through the SD/BD line.

If you are having problem with the hats in the ride side mis using spaced 414s try figure 8 and adjusting the right side mic so the null is pointed at the hats. I've hadd good luck with that.

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:10 pm

I've had good results with 414s in a (fairly high) spaced pair for drum overheads. I would have thought the km184s would suit the "hi fi pop" thing more, though.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:00 pm

I've been using 414s as overheads with much consistency for about a decade now. I love them in all sort of configurations, which is one of their biggest advantages. Spaced pair not doing it? Move them together and record X-Y. Change the patterns and now they're a Blumlein configuration. Or maybe spaced pair would be cool with omnis. A flip of the switch and you're set. I find them to be incredibly versatile mics for drum overheads. I don't use them 100% of the time, but I've done A LOT of records with 414s over the drumkit.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

firesine
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by firesine » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:25 pm

kingtoad wrote:I would have thought the km184s would suit the "hi fi pop" thing more, though.
And put the 414s on toms. They have a hypercardioid option and thats the definition of hi fi toms.
Mmm, lung butter.

johnnydove
pushin' record

Post by johnnydove » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:58 am

you could also try them as knee highs instead of overheads, i did that with a pair of 414 TL-II's once and it sounded pretty good.
-johnny

bronsonmestizo
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by bronsonmestizo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:08 am

C 414= fucking awesome mic. I LOVE them.

monomedia
audio school graduate

Post by monomedia » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:20 pm

I've done A LOT of records with 414s over the drumkit.
Just about every studio I've recorded in has used 414s for drum overheads- usually a spaced pair. For many years I didn't know they could be used for anything else!

Jon
"My music is best understood by small children and animals"

Igor Stravinsky

www.myspace.com/jonshuman

www.myspace.com/massacreguysslc

nopenopenope
gettin' sounds

Post by nopenopenope » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:40 am

firesine wrote:
kingtoad wrote:I would have thought the km184s would suit the "hi fi pop" thing more, though.
And put the 414s on toms. They have a hypercardioid option and thats the definition of hi fi toms.
+1

huge tom sounds, though i felt like they lacked some punch. very well could be the kit / player - thick heads, fairly light touch... but the 414s made the toms sound almost too big. almost.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:15 pm

firesine wrote:
totally.. even in cardioid there is so much more separation.. and they sound great on toms.

But 414's work well, be it x/y, ORTF, or spaced pair. The times i get to use them as OH's, since I don't own a pair, is at a place that also has a good room, so its all part of the equation.

Back at my place though.. which is 414-less unfortunately, i've discovered that sd mc-012's sound better in my crap room than LD version, the mc-102's, as OH's... so i'm thinking a pair of 414's would not be good for OH's in my room. The mc-102's are great capsules for the 012 body, but... for OH's it seems i prefer the sdc at my place... that's the idea at least today.. that will probably change a few times, over and over.. again..