Tapco LINK FIREWIRE 4X6

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Tapco LINK FIREWIRE 4X6

Post by junkstar » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:07 am

Been a long time since I've posted here... been out of the loop with life and work. I come to you all, tail between legs, with simple and dumb question in regard to a minor step I want to take into PC recording. This is all based on me attempting to get just a pair of XLR's connected with Sony Sound Forge on my PC.

I know that the Tapco Link Firewire comes with Tracktion, but if I do not install their multitrack software, will I be able to use the Sony stuff I'm more comfortable with. What are the odds that my machine will recognize the firewire output of the Tapco?

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:38 am

Your PC should recognize the Tapco device once you've installed any Tapco drivers. You might have trouble if your firewire card on your PC is finicky, or if you have a moderately damaged cable (firewire is sensitive to finicky stuff like that). You won't need to use Tracktion either. Once your PC is recognizing the Tapco device as an audio in/out, it should be able to route the audio to any Tracktion-like app.

Good luck; hope this helps.

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:39 am

good. but firewire as an audio interface is more troublesome than usb stuff, but that's a harwards/os issue, not recording software issue.

You can use all the mackie onyx stuff with any program too. it just shows up as an ASIO input in your system.

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:13 pm

So, USB may be a better option? Honestly, I'm just looking for two decent simultaneous XLR inputs into the PC without needing a very big box in between

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:52 pm

Typically, firewire is a better option if you need low latency or more channels. Keep in mind the the firewire chipset in your computer matters, Texas Instruments is generally considered the best. If you want to play soft synths or monitor with effects, the low latency will come in handy.

USB interfaces are cheaper, but latency can be less than optimal.

The tapco unit is discontinued I think. Check out the echo audiofire units, they're very well regarded here. Haven't used them myself though.