Help please - classical and big band music gurus

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Help please - classical and big band music gurus

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Great opportunity ? great nervousness.

I will be recording some top-tier student orchestras and big bands in a master class program. The instructors will be world class and will draw everything possible from these talented young musicians. (You may think of the PBS show From the Top; it will be of that quality).

My problem is the room ? A smallish (will forward square footage, if it will assist you in your recommendations), low ceiling (~ 10 feet) multipurpose room.

I will have little input in positioning players or with room configuration in the early sessions (that will change as the program progresses).

To the point: I seek TapeOpper suggestions in microphone selection (SDC Vs. dynamic), mic configuration (X-Y, ORIF, spaced-pair?), and compressor/limiter settings (it will be a 'roll tape' type of session, with little or no level checks).

Are you out there classical and jazz music gods?

Mahalo,

Bill
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****

acjetnut
pushin' record

Post by acjetnut » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:24 pm

I'm sorry, but what exactly is your question?

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:51 pm

In a small(er) space, I would try a stereo pair with spot mics if you have any featured soloists.

I've had great luck with ORTF, I'm sure Blumlein or MidSide would work great too.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:21 pm

Reminds me of my college Stereo Miking class project-- we were told to go record a performance of the jazz band, and it was "set up the two mics where you want 'em and roll tape." But it was also "the auditorium is a union shop, so you can't touch the mics, stands or recorder once you're in the building. You can only point to where you want the stuff set and the union guys will do it." Literally did not know what you had until the performance was over and the union guy handed you your stuff back, so you could go home and listen to it.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

firesine
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by firesine » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:37 am

I like ORTF with LDCs in the center, maybe a quarter of the rooms length in front of the group. Then wide spaced omnis, maybe farther back in the room, maybe not. I'd error on the close side if you don't have time for sound check.
Compressors? As long as you are doing 24 bit digital, just keep your levels conservative. And as long as they are not clipping, don't touch the faders. The band director will not be happy if the levels change in the middle of a performance on playback.

There, that's better.
Last edited by firesine on Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mmm, lung butter.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:17 am

firesine wrote:Sorry, my letter "see" key doesn't work so I will use ( instead.
OT, but you could also just copy a "c" (there's one now!) and paste it where necessary.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Post by Studiodawg » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:23 pm

c ... :D it worked!

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:46 pm

My advice to you is to try very hard to get them into a larger space where you won't 'hear' the walls encroaching on what you're attempting to do.

Look into a Decca tree set-up over the orchestra and then 2 to 4 mics out in the seating area if possible.

If you can't get them into a 'theatre', you'll have little luck capturing any useful 'space'.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:48 pm

kayagum wrote:In a small(er) space, I would try a stereo pair with spot mics if you have any featured soloists.

I've had great luck with ORTF, I'm sure Blumlein or MidSide would work great too.
Blumlein to capture the ambience or the space, yes. Mid-Side I'd say never- at least not for classical music.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:52 am

@?,*???&? wrote:Mid-Side I'd say never- at least not for classical music.
Really? I've had great luck doing classical stuff in MS. Then again, I don't have a Decca tree bar.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:21 am

thanks SO much guys. (but keep it coming!)

Exactly the help I was looking for.

For contractual reasons I may not be able to post the results, but I'll ask tell them if I can as it is for educational purposes (that's their soft spot, God bless them!)

In any event I'll run a 'blog' here so you may know how it goes.

Mahalo,

bill
Irie Lab Sound Studios

mixedupsteve
pushin' record

Post by mixedupsteve » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:27 am

Most of the people that do this use SDCs in NOS, ORTF with Shoeps, Sennheisers, DPAs etc. Usually a flanking pair also.

DupleMeter
ass engineer

Post by DupleMeter » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:54 pm

If the room is small you are going to want to minimize it's affect on the recording.

That being said: omnis are out of the question. I would also avoid M/S, as the S will likely pick up side wall reflections more so than ambience. Though, to back Chris up - I've heard some gorgeous classical recording in M/S.

Personally, I avoid X/Y because the soundstage is so small and lifeless, so that leaves one of the near-coincident techniques (ORTF, NOS, DIN). I'd keep this a few feet behind the conductor and high enough to balance out the group.

SDCs will render the transients with better detail. LDCs will "smear" the top a bit...but that may not be bad of the room is overly bright or the reflections are on the bright/harsh side.

My $.02

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:08 am

Those 2 cents can add up to a lot.

thanks all!

gigs start in April, will let you all how it goes.

Mahalo,

Bill
Irie Lab Sound Studios

agauchede
gettin' sounds

Post by agauchede » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:30 am

I find omnis can be useful in less than desirable rooms, since there is less build-up of off axis coloration. Of course, if the room is too small to get the mics away from the walls or ceiling, you can also have comb-filtering issues. Get there early if possible -- classical musicians frequently rehearse a few hours before a performance.

Chris