SYNCING FOSTEX M-80 TO SEQUOIA

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

neonwitch
audio school

SYNCING FOSTEX M-80 TO SEQUOIA

Post by neonwitch » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:35 pm

OK, I am actually an intelligent person but I'm having some trouble getting my head around this one:

Ideally, I would like to record six tracks of drums (six because I'm trying to avoid the sketchy-ass outside tracks) onto tape, dump it into sequioa, then record another six tracks of guitar, vox, etc. onto tape using a slave track form the initial tracking, dump those tracks into sequioa and line them up with the original tracks.

So, the tape machine would have to be synced up to the DAW, yes? Sequioa does have a SMPTE generator which you assign to an audio output. Syncing in the fostex machine appears to be controlled by a 20 pin connector in the rear (I have the schematic for it, I'm pretty sure). I assume that you would have to fabricate some kind of cable, wiring a quarter inch male end into one or more pins of a 20 pin cable. Would the tape machine "see" the audio signal and sync up to it?

The fostex manual is very cryptic, referring all syncing questions to "your local fostex dealer".

Or, is there a way to do it by syncing the DAW to the tape machine, which seems way easier, while still hitting tape first? Due to sleep deprivation and poor diet I don't seem to be able to figure out how that would work. It's like doing one of those tavern puzzles with the rings and the horseshoes and so on.

williamsongs
alignin' 24-trk

Post by williamsongs » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:22 pm

Call me and I can take you through it some afternoon. Easier than you think...

Ryan Ferris
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ryan Ferris » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:11 am

I just acquired an 80 and I'm looking to sync it to Sonar. Anyone care to break it down?

Thanks!

Ryan Ferris
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ryan Ferris » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:12 am

I just acquired an 80 and I'm looking to sync it to Sonar. Anyone care to break it down?

Thanks!

kevin206
gettin' sounds

Post by kevin206 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:31 pm

I would like someone to give a few pointers on this also. I have a few old tape machines and it would be nice to sync to my DAW for transfers.

I remember a little from years ago. We would record a signal tone to tape, then the sequencer stuff would follow the tape. I even did this a time or two to sync up 16 track analog to ADAT tape machines. I just didn't do it enough for it to stick in my mind. I remember having brain issues with it back in the day also.

will
pluggin' in mics

Post by will » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:32 am

- record SMPTE to tape,
- play SMPTE-track through a SMPTE>MIDI-coverter (sync-box),
- synchronise DAW to MIDI.

note that the tape would be the master, the DAW the slave.

that's it!