Analog Mixer/Computer Hardware Question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ass engineer

Analog Mixer/Computer Hardware Question

Post by 388 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:55 am

I have an older 12 channel 4 buss mixer with inputs and outputs on each channel. I am currently using and mbox2/pro-tools 7 setup.

What can I get that will allow me to line in each channel from the mixer to the computer and back? I don't need mic preamps, just 12 in's and 12 outs.

Also I know that digidesign hardware doesn't always offer as much "bang for the buck" as others companies so please recommend whatever you think is best, I'm not above ditching pro-tools and switching to another program.

Thanks.

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Re: Analog Mixer/Computer Hardware Question

Post by kingmetal » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:45 am

388 wrote:I have an older 12 channel 4 buss mixer with inputs and outputs on each channel. I am currently using and mbox2/pro-tools 7 setup.

What can I get that will allow me to line in each channel from the mixer to the computer and back? I don't need mic preamps, just 12 in's and 12 outs.

Also I know that digidesign hardware doesn't always offer as much "bang for the buck" as others companies so please recommend whatever you think is best, I'm not above ditching pro-tools and switching to another program.

Thanks.
Each channel has a direct-out? What kind of mixer is this?

If you really do have a discreet output for every channel then you have a lot of options, it will just depend on how much you want to spend.

I won't speak about Pro Tools interfaces, but there are some (really expensive) options. 12 Channels in Pro-Tools land starts to get you into the Pro Tools HD range of things and the prices start to get insane.

I'm a huge MOTU advocate, I've been running an 828MK2 for about 5 years with zero problems - its survived countless OS upgrades / downgrades and has been the center of my studio since the begining. an 828MK2 or MK3 would only give you 10 discreet 1/4" inputs (counting the front mic pres, which have TRS) but MK2s can be had for around $500 on ebay.

There is also the famous MOTU 24io, which is 24 discreet TRS inputs (and no outputs if I remember). You'd have to mix ITB, and they're expensive, so really if you want to go that route I'd just get two 828MK2 and chain them together (you can daisy chain MOTU interfaces, up to 4 I believe!).

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:33 pm

You could do it with a Digi 002/002R/003. The stock unit would give you 8 ins and 8 outs. To get four more you'd need to get some type of ADAT based converter box and connect in to the ADAT ports on the Digi box (Alesis AI-3, Fronteir Tango 24, an old ADAT deck, etc.). If you're not married to using PTLE, you could get a standalone converter box with a PCI card interface or something similar. I think Apogee has come out with some type of 16-channel interface like this; but it'll be pretty spendy. Nice though.

Studio Steve
pluggin' in mics

This may be what you're looking for

Post by Studio Steve » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:06 pm

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:53 pm

The 24io has 24 ins and 24 outs (hence the I and the O)
The 24i (which I own) has 24 ins and 2 outs. 4 if you count the spdif/whatever.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.