Buying a Zoom H2/H4N in NYC

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sparky
pushin' record

Buying a Zoom H2/H4N in NYC

Post by sparky » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:59 pm

I need to get a portable digital recorder ASAP, like tomorrow. From what I hear, those Zoom Hn's are the shit. BUT, it looks like GC and my nearest music stores don't carry them. Is there any place in NYC that does? I would order it, but I really need something tomorrow. Should I just screw it and buy a brand X portable digital recorder, or is there a place I can find the Zooms?

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:20 am

Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:26 am

I would be careful and try to test the H2 with a typical situation you plan to record before you plunk down the cash... I have one, I've used it a lot, and there are a couple of issues.

With lower sound-pressure recordings, the thing is awesome - putting down an acoustic singer-songwriter for example... it actually sounds really good.

However:

Once you get some reasonably high level stuff happening, like an entire rock band in a small rehearsal space, it completely craps out and clips - not the converters, mind you, at least according to the meters, but the mic elements themselves - they are not very robust and start clipping in the most heinous manner when you hit the thing with a solid rimshot, even from like 15 feet away.

It drives me nuts, and I feel a little ripped off, frankly.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

[<|>]

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

Post by hiddendriveways » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:05 am

I work for a Zoom dealer in NYC and we haven't received any H4N's yet. They are still too new, and only recently have been announced. Personally, I would get a Edirol R-09HR. It's $50 more than that Zoom, but the interface is really well thought out.

Every one of these flash recorders that I've encountered have been essentially pretty silimar to each another. If you really want the surround sound function in the H4N, then you should get the H2. I don't really have a use for that function, I prefer something with a better interface, that's why I like the Edirol.

justinmc
audio school graduate

Post by justinmc » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:54 pm

That's too bad. I wonder which little recorder would handle the higher volume stuff better....
kdarr wrote:I would be careful and try to test the H2 with a typical situation you plan to record before you plunk down the cash... I have one, I've used it a lot, and there are a couple of issues.

With lower sound-pressure recordings, the thing is awesome - putting down an acoustic singer-songwriter for example... it actually sounds really good.

However:

Once you get some reasonably high level stuff happening, like an entire rock band in a small rehearsal space, it completely craps out and clips - not the converters, mind you, at least according to the meters, but the mic elements themselves - they are not very robust and start clipping in the most heinous manner when you hit the thing with a solid rimshot, even from like 15 feet away.

It drives me nuts, and I feel a little ripped off, frankly.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

[<|>]

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:40 am

I'm using an H2 in a basement with a very dynamic drummer.

We hang the recorder about 15' out and up, set the sensitivity on low, and love the results.

I use the 90 degree mic setting, with a 16gig SDHC card.

There is a short sample here ("ZoomH2TurtleLoveTest") of less than 2 minutes of bass and drums, totally un-edited.

"You Can't Hear Me" has loops made from drums recorded at the same session.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:44 am

I have the Zoom H2 and it's great. Walmart and Best Buy carry them now too believe it or not. I saw one in my local BB the other day.

btw - the Zoom H2 does have a 3 position setting for the built-in mic input levels and a limiter you can enable and while I've never taken mine to a front-row death metal concert, it's always worked fine for me.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:56 am

If you just need something with XLRs the H4 is damn fine. The interface makes me want to put a gun in my mouth, but it tracks audio, sounds good and should be available pretty much anywhere. Cheaper too.

I got an H4n from Sweetwater and it's pretty sweet. A couple of missed features (and REALLY noisy phatom) but overall it's much better than the H4.

That being said, if you just need a stereo recorder just grab an H2 somewhere. Great sound quality, flexible mic options, smaller, cheaper - it just lacks the XLR inputs.

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:31 am

I play pretty loud and have had no issues with the H2 in the rehearsal room we rent. Best rehearsal live recordings I've ever gotten actually. Probably too late for the OP but I picked mine up at B&H.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:26 am

digitaldrummer wrote: Walmart and Best Buy carry them now too believe it or not.
Walmart, really?

In the Pro-Audio department? :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:49 am

vvv wrote:
digitaldrummer wrote: Walmart and Best Buy carry them now too believe it or not.
Walmart, really?

In the Pro-Audio department? :twisted:
yeah, right next to the Neve consoles.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com