Mic box foam

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Rabbit
ass engineer

Mic box foam

Post by Rabbit » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:38 am

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this but here goes...

I'm looking for a source for replacement foam for an old metal EV RE-20 mic box. I called EV factory service, actually Bosch is where I eneded up and they said they don't sell the foam but would happily sell me a new case. :-) I'm assuming once I find the right foam I'll just cut it myself, no big deal.

If anyone knows where I can find the right stuff please let me know.

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:47 am

if you can cut out the slot your self I dont think it matters what kind of foam you get. Good luck, though. I've never tried to cut foam that thick. I imagine you need a very sharp blade. Or do they use heat? Heat and a blade?

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:54 am

There were some pretty interesting plans for a nichrome wire "heat blade" rig in December's Make magazine.

Rabbit
ass engineer

Post by Rabbit » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:55 am

I've heard the stuff can be cut with a bread knife using some sort of straight edge as a guide, I guess I'll find out if I can get my hands on some. My other concern is whatever foam I use needs to be compatible with storing mcrophones and won't release vapors that might damage the mic in some way. It would have been nice if EV would have told me what kind of foam to get at least, but they really didn't have much information for me.

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:01 am

My other concern is whatever foam I use needs to be compatible with storing mcrophones and won't release vapors that might damage the mic in some way.
Oh, I didn't think about that. I'm sure if it gives off some sort of gas that it would happen when you cut it. I imagine airing it out for a day would be fine.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:03 am

I ended up getting some dense packing foam online somewhere. I can't remember where..... it may actually have been the foambymail people, believe it or not.... their "acoustic foam" is crap, but for packing it has worked well.

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:46 pm

When I had to replace the foam in my re20 case, I just reused some heavy duty packing foam and cut it with a snap knife. Easy enough.

Note: if the case's foam is disintegrating, chances are pretty good the foam in the re20 is as well. Shake it over a white piece of paper to see if any foam bits are falling out. If they are order a foam replacement kit from EV. It's a PITA to change, but necessary, as the foam holds the capsule in place.

Rabbit
ass engineer

Post by Rabbit » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:15 am

Thanks for the input guys, I think I'll just find some polypro packing material and go with that. The mic I'm going to keep in the case is actually a fairly new RE-27, the case got stolen and I was able to find this sweet old RE-20 metal case for cheap, it's got the old EV logo on it, and had no foam in it when I bought it.

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:44 am

A very popular tool for cutting foam is one of those electric turkey carving knives. Lets you do very clean easy cuts, and it's especially nice for shaving the foam down if the fit is too tight.

Rabbit
ass engineer

Post by Rabbit » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:39 am

Yep I've read that and have one at the ready, thanks for the input.

Also, TS thanks for the info on Make magazine, I'd never heard of it but there's some crazy stuff on the website. Pretty cool.