jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:11 am

British flag shorts?

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:45 am

I think I must have dreamed that Uriah Heep story. I'm okay with that as long as there are no Union Jack hot pants in my dreams.

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:13 am

If adjusting the legwear is a non-starter try going with a rolling glide instead of a power glide design Kick pedal...Don't let that cobra bite ya any higher. (or consider playing bass guitar).

E.A.H
audio school

Post by E.A.H » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:06 am

Alright I found the adjust thing and that helped. A different annoying question: I just got a new drum set (Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz) and I don't know, but over night I lost my ability to do some 16th notes. For example, I used to always do the "lust for life" drum part, but now where it should be "bum bum bum bum bum bu-bum" it's just "bum bum bum bum bu". What changed? I tried it on my old drum set again too and I lost the ability on that one as well, did my foot lose muscle over night?

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:18 am

i am sorry I cannot help you any longer

ballpein
pushin' record

Post by ballpein » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:27 am

;ivlunsdystf wrote:best post ever

SIDE TANGENT: Was it in Tape Op magazine or was it somewhere else? In about 1999 or 2000 I read a possibly satirical little quote from a roadie for Uriah Heep where the roadie is watching them play a gig and the drummer's bell bottom gets caught on the kick beater and the roadie jumps in and aids in correcting this situation, mid-song, and after the gig the drummer says "hey, thanks man, big help" and the roadie feels all warm and fuzzy because now he and the drummer are pals ...
... and the drummer is all hot and sweaty and the roadie says, "here man, take my coke," and the drummer is all like, "wow, thanks dude, have my old sweaty towel, it's a keepsake you'll treasure forever, just like your memory of this moment". And then the drummer went and snorted coke off the cleavage of a 16 year old runaway while the roadie wrapped cables.

True story.

E.A.H
audio school

Post by E.A.H » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:05 am

Alright, I know you guys are on the edges of your seats about me losing muscle power overnight. Well I figured out what happened. On my old kit I had like a 20$ pedal with extremely loose spring tension and no adjustability, but with my new kit I got an Iron Cobra. So without even realizing it I wasn't trying as hard to hit the drum as I used to, which was fine, except for the 16th notes. Now I bash it as hard as I can and I can do the fast parts again. So you guys can relax now.

ballpein
pushin' record

Post by ballpein » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:09 am

E.A.H wrote:Alright, I know you guys are on the edges of your seats about me losing muscle power overnight. Well I figured out what happened. On my old kit I had like a 20$ pedal with extremely loose spring tension and no adjustability, but with my new kit I got an Iron Cobra. So without even realizing it I wasn't trying as hard to hit the drum as I used to, which was fine, except for the 16th notes. Now I bash it as hard as I can and I can do the fast parts again. So you guys can relax now.
What the hell does this have to do with Uriah Heap fantasies?????

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Kick Drum Pedal Up My Pants.

Post by ubertar » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:27 am

E.A.H wrote:When I use my kick pedal it goes up my pants, I don't know what to do. It's an Iron Cobra, is there an adjustment I can make so that it doesn't go back as far?
Maybe he's just happy to see you.

[heh]Iron Cobra[/heh]

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:02 am

^^^ *chuckle*
ballpein wrote:
... and the drummer is all hot and sweaty and the roadie says, "here man, take my coke," and the drummer is all like, "wow, thanks dude, have my old sweaty towel, it's a keepsake you'll treasure forever, just like your memory of this moment". And then the drummer went and snorted coke off the cleavage of a 16 year old runaway while the roadie wrapped cables.

True story.
awesome. take the rest of the day off with pay.

my favorite roadie story is black sabbath mk2 with ronnie james dio singing...before soundcheck the roadies would put a milk crate onstage right in front of the lead vocal mic.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:57 am

as a drummer, tight pants afficionado, drug user, and short man, this thread offends to me to no end.

:wink:

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:53 pm

obviously never rides a bicycle eh? Just tuck your freaking pants leg in your sock, or roll it up.
I know what you mean, for years I nursed a crappy pearl kick pedal along because I had gotten so dependent on its weird loose action. That and I just couldnt figure out the DW pedals that were so hip in the 90's.
Uriah Heep, Didnt Stillwater lose a bunch of groupies them in a card game?
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:56 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:obviously never rides a bicycle eh?
I was thinking about this thread on Monday... finally got my bike going for spring and am glad I took off those toe clips on my city bike....

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:41 pm

new pedals are always a pain. i got some new pedals, and it took me a couple months to stop getting it caught, or bruising the hell out of my foot, let alone get the response i wanted. just keep tweaking with it, you may need to tighten, or loosen the springs, and compromise between it not getting caught, and being far back enough it still feels comfortable, and you get the response you want. thats why most good pedals have so many adjustments, is to get the dialed in.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:46 pm

I when I first got my Iron Cobra I had the opposite problem. I kept playing triples when I wanted doubles.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.