Post by theBlubberRanch » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:43 am

I currently recording with a presonus firepod and
oktava -mk-012 x2
oktava -mk219 x2
mxl v69me
mxl 990
a 57
and a kick mic that I can't think of.

I've seen a presonus m80 and am thinking that upgrading the pres might be helpful.
Is this upgrade worth it?

Or what would be the next step in the equation? Whole new interface?

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:59 pm

The preamps in the Firepod are actually pretty darn good. The M80 is nice too but of a similar flavor (it does have input transformers, but they are quite clean).

I'd get a preamp with some flavor to it. Something like a UA or API. The Firepod converters are as good as anything you're like to find under $2k so I wouldn't worry there.

Also, make sure your room sounds good. A good room is worth more than any expensive gear.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

shakestheclown
takin' a dinner break

Post by shakestheclown » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:28 am

Just thought I'd jump in and say that I noticed a significant difference between the converters in the firepod and the converters in the Frontier Tango... The difference was not subtle.

qball
pushin' record

Post by qball » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:24 am

Before you spend any more money on preamps and mics, check out the Black Lion Audio MicroClock! It will reveal the true quality of the gear you already have, then you can go from there. I use Presonus FireStudios and adding the MicroClock made a HUGE improvement in clarity and focus. I have convinced a few studios to give it a try and they were amazed and ended up buying one of their own. I've been at this for 15 years, and the MicroClock has been my best purchase EVER!

http://www.blacklionaudio.com/microclock.html
I think women should leave the toilet seat UP!!!

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:52 am

There's no way to connect the BLA clock to the Firepod.

The nice thing about the Firepod compared to the Frontier is that you can connect up to three Firepods for 24 inputs over a single firewire connection. I can't speak to a direct comparison sound-wise, but I've done three albums on the Firepods and they all sound great.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

theBlubberRanch
takin' a dinner break

Post by theBlubberRanch » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:50 pm

Interesting. I wouldn't mind having a few more channels of Input. Maybe another firepod or other presonus equivalent is next.
I'm recording in a basement(mostly to totally unfinished) so fixing up the room is sort of out of the question for now.
I'm just kind of unsure as where to go next gear wise. Most bang for my buck kind of thing.
The basement has some wings off the main room that are just like caverns cut out of the dirt. I've got to fool around with putting some room mics down those things.