HELP - old tape for a remix

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

HELP - old tape for a remix

Post by permanent hearing damage » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:10 am

okay, so i was given the 2" reel to one of my favorite records ever for a remix. i have a 2" 24 track (this was also recorded on a 24 track) and intend to transfer this to digital for the project

however, this tape is from 1992 (according to the serial number). it is ampex 456 and has spent it's entire existence in tucson, az.

now that i actually have the reel in hand, i have a variety of concerns:

1) sticky shed - i have been trying to read up on this. i understand this should be the old formula so this may be a problem, but if it lived in hot and dry arizona, maybe it's okay? can i play the tape a bit to find out without losing any info on the tape or should i bake it to be safe?

2) noise reduction - the tracksheet indicates noise reduction was used but it doesn't specify what type other than "Dolby." can i make assumptions based on the model of the machine? it was an otari x80. i usually seem to see Dolby SR along with these. this was recorded at 15ips - perhaps i should note. is dumping this without decoding a horrible idea?

3) tones - i won't be certain until i put the reel up, but i see nothing on the tracksheet. if i have no tones to go on, what can i even do?

i am looking into transfer houses, but this is more a labor of love and i don't really expect to get paid much if at all for any of it. that's fine with me, because i'm just excited to be involved.

any guidance would be appreciated.

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:28 pm

That tape will need to be baked. You will also need to play it back on a machine with Dolby. Could be Dolby A or SR. I would suggest you send the tape to Steve at Sonicraft in Freehold, NJ. http://www.sonicraft.com/
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

masonpitzel
alignin' 24-trk

Re: HELP - old tape for a remix

Post by masonpitzel » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:59 pm

permanent hearing damage wrote:one of my favorite records ever... from 1992

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:09 pm

John Noll wrote:I would suggest you send the tape to Steve at Sonicraft in Freehold, NJ. http://www.sonicraft.com/
+20

Cannot recommend Steve enough. I outsourced a high-ish profile transfer job to him a bunch of years ago after my initial attempts resulted in major shed and a stretched and split tape (luckily not in the middle of a take). He was very reasonable with pricing, did a kick ass job, and was super nice.

Also not that far from philly.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA