Thought some folks might find this pretty interesting....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

heylow
george martin

Thought some folks might find this pretty interesting....

Post by heylow » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:58 pm

I haven't been around as much as usual lately so I don't know if this has been brought up. Though, I realize "loudness wars" discussions are very played out, I think anything folks can do to counter that stuff is a walk in the right direction.

Here's a pretty interesting attempt! It's not just a plugin, but a stand alone program as well...pretty straight forward and definitely an interesting read....check out the MANUAL on the download page.

http://www.pleasurizemusic.com/

[dt]

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:28 pm

Very cool idea. I can see Bob Katz (who wrote Mastering Audio, the book) really getting behind this.

Unfortunately, I can't see big labels getting behind it. Which is unfortunate, because in today's fast moving, multi-formatted environment, some standardization could help with the quality control.

dennisjames
takin' a dinner break

Post by dennisjames » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:48 pm

Very cool. I've about given up on ever hearing back from TurnMeUp.org.

And btw - dt, been spinning your album on the show almost every week. Fantastic record! You guys did an amazing job.

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:48 pm

dennisjames wrote:Very cool. I've about given up on ever hearing back from TurnMeUp.org.

And btw - dt, been spinning your album on the show almost every week. Fantastic record! You guys did an amazing job.
I hear you about TurnMeUp.org! I was so wanting to get behind that but it seems to have stalled out....I thought it was great that somebody tried to "pick up the ball" so to speak.

On the sidenote...I can't thank you enough, man. I catch the playlist from time to time and get really stoked to be included on such a great show...I wish I could get it here!

@ LOSTHIGHWAY: Unfortunately the big guys don't and will never care. Luckily, though, it doesn't mean everybody has to make horrible records, right?

Garges once said to me that this kind of thing has to be grass roots and I think he was absolutely right. When more people start doing it and other people start digging it, it starts to be the trend and trends are what the big guys MIGHT notice. Well.....maybe....those folks are pretty thick. :wink:

[dt]

jesse_baccus
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jesse_baccus » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:52 pm

you remember when they started to require the parental advisory stickers for albums, to control the vulgarity of albums?

you remember how many people bought albums because the warning was on it?

you remember how bands put even more effed up crap on covers, to instigate the warning?

yea. thats about about my feeling on this idea. HOWEVER, i did not read the whole page yet (but plan to).

It seems to me that they are publicly announcing what every mastering engineer knows, being what crest factors are deemed acceptable to fit within the target media's bandwidth. I feel this may just make the term "really loud" more tangible, and allow labels and bands to look at current rating and say "yea its gotta be at least a ###" as long as its louder or as loud than the loudest record they've heard.

Personally, I am a proponent of the loudest wars, because they get me a lot of business, and challenge me on a regular basis. yea, it sounds like s**t audiophiliacly (not always) , but not every one is listening technically, and are just trying to have their a*s rocked. I don't feel a meter that shows you the same thing every other meter does, and then reads it to you, solves, or changes, anything.
who thought it how to read anyhow?
what if their toe-may-toe is my toe-mot-oh?

i just dont see how this is a solution, maybe i haven't read enough, or am misunderstanding.

the loudness wars are dying, everyone is sick of it, we're through the attack, and decay of the envelope, riding the sustain, waiting for release. but now the engineers are better at it, and technology better suited, so we won't regress.

progress baby, i'm excited... the crest probably won't open up all that much, but now with a better conscientiousness, (since we have now heard what it sounds like when its gone too far), they will become more refined and natural.

Hey.
Was there ever an official "Loudness War"?
As in an objectively judged, proper, competition?
State Prelims... Regional Champions, National? International!

mm hmm...
? Jesse Baccus ? The Audio Engine ? Walla Walla ?