JBL CONTROL 10

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

JBL CONTROL 10

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:05 am

So I have this nice pair of control 10's. They get pretty loud, not too shabby response. Thanks to my awesome roomates one of them has a blown woofer now. How the heck do you get these things open to repair the woofer?
I found a JBL PDF manual and it looks almost like one screw holds the grill on?
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

armanbohn
gettin' sounds

Post by armanbohn » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:16 am

The school I work at has a pair of JBL Control speakers. I had to fix them last year. I think the grill was just held on with some black goo. Once you get the grill off, there are fairly deep recessed holes for the screws that hold the housing together.

Ours had blown "Fuses". These speakers have an inline fuse that pops before the speakers blow. Check it out before you pick up a new woofer. It was hard to track down the replacement - but it's out there and only costs a few bucks.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:28 am

I have up on finding the replacement speaker. I serched the web and could find only recone kits for $200 a pair.
I have a saved search on ebay for the model (119hs) and it never pops up.
So getting the grill off of yours, did you just pry it off, or was there a convenient spot to apply pressure to get the sucke off without too mcuh damage. These are pretty decent, yet rugged speakers. I would like to avoid rednecking them to much.
But being an 8th generation redneck it may be my only option.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:42 am

Well I took it apart last night. The grill does come right off with a little coercion.
There are no fuses in here. Maybe there used to be but I dont see where. These were modified to 1/4" jacks at one point so maybe they were removed then if they were extant.
I pulled the 12" and tested it. about .5 ohm. Darn.
The number on the side do not correspond at all with the ones on my JBL pdf, but it looks original.
About 3am when I got up to take a whiz I had a funny idea, I wonder if the leads to the voice coil could be the problem? So i picked it up and took a look to see if one was broken.
Now thats funny, they are touching? It couldnt be that simple. so I pulled them apart, there was a little resistance as if they had melted together.
I tested them again, four fucking ohms! No way!
So glad I hadnt bought a replacement speaker!
Well now I have a perfectly functioning pair of control 10's. Think I may leave the grills off.