Opinions on the Orange Tiny Terror?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

giuseppe_fl
alignin' 24-trk

Opinions on the Orange Tiny Terror?

Post by giuseppe_fl » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:03 am

We've been recording with a small group of half-stack rigs including some Marshall 100 watts and a Fender Bassman.

It's time to get something a little more suitable for tracking and the Tiny Terror combo is frontrunner for the first small-amp purchase.

I've heard great things here and elsewhere on this amp.... Any additional feedback on the Orange TT?

mcsquishytooshy
gettin' sounds

Post by mcsquishytooshy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:19 am

I think it's worth it, unlike newer, more pricey Orange amps.

giuseppe_fl
alignin' 24-trk

Post by giuseppe_fl » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:38 am

mcsquishytooshy wrote:I think it's worth it, unlike newer, more pricey Orange amps.
What are your reservations with the more expensive Orange stuff? (Not that I'm even considering buying one of those right now.... but I did play through a Rockverb 100 recently, and I thought it would be a fine purchase for anyone with 3 grand lying around....)

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:11 am

I've been jonesing for one of these myself as a complement to my '59 Bassman 4X10 reissue.
Slider wrote:"we figured you'd want to use your drum samples and reamp through your amps anyway, so we didn't bother taking much time to get sounds".

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:28 am

Almost any small (<16w) TUBE amp sounds great cranked up. I'll bet the tiny terror is great (I've heard it but haven't recorded it), but don't overlook other things you find. Hell, the epiphone 5w amp sounds great with a few very cheap and easy mods, is about $150 after modding, and they're both made in china, so...
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:31 am

I got a Tiny Terror head and PPC112 cab late last year. I have used it on plenty of recordings in 7 watt mode. It is a very nice sounding amp, but even 7 watts with this thing is LOUD! Not too loud though. Just right loud for tracking heavy guitar parts, at which it excels. It sounds nice for clean parts too but clean and blues tones are more easily achieved with single coil pickups. My Gibsons with humbuckers sound great overdriven but get a little muddy for clean tones with this amp. For comparison, my '71 Twin Reverb gets clean sounds very well no matter what guitar or pickup I put through it. It can't grunt and growl like the TT can though.

mcsquishytooshy
gettin' sounds

Post by mcsquishytooshy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:25 pm

I would gladly pay $1500 for a 90's reissue or a 70's Orange-
Any Orange with that magic FAC knob.
The new ones don't have that, and are just too expensive for what they are.

The Tiny Terror is priced extremely well for something that sounds that good!

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:34 pm

I've had mixed feelings about my AD30 for 5 years but have learned to love it. At first I was pissed and kept thinking all this thing does is the Doobie Bros 'China Grove'. It doesn't do twang, it doesn't do eat your face off metal, it just does very perfect sounding classic rock.

I think it records well, though. It's got a thick sound and I really like the cleans with a Tele. Not bassy, but thick. It makes little unwound strings sound fatter.

New Orange amps are really polished and even sounding. They just sound different from a lot of traditional but great amps like the Vox and Marshalls.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

theBlubberRanch
takin' a dinner break

Post by theBlubberRanch » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:30 pm

Never had one, but I see a lot of them on craigslist. Don't know what that's supposed to mean.

And yeah, 7 and 15 watts can be real loud.

Sculli
takin' a dinner break

Post by Sculli » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:49 pm

Played thru one. Love It! on my list to buy.
Peace,
Kevin

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:24 am

record with a 100 watt marshall?
crazy, the 50 watt records better I think, and there is a 30? watt version too. JTM maybe?
The epi valve jr is pretty cool. It really depends on the cab, guitar and pedal for tone. being a 1 knob amp it doesnt do much els but get loud and spongy.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

mcsquishytooshy
gettin' sounds

Post by mcsquishytooshy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:35 am

I got a Valve Jr with a master volume and bigger output transformer. It rules, but it ain't no Tiny Terror!

giuseppe_fl
alignin' 24-trk

Post by giuseppe_fl » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:26 am

theBlubberRanch wrote:Never had one, but I see a lot of them on craigslist. Don't know what that's supposed to mean.
I reckon that could mean that the great word of mouth around the Tiny Terror is all hype and zombie groupthink (see 2008's The Dark Knight) and people don't like the TT once they get it home. Or it could mean that the economy's bottoming out and people are getting rid of stuff. Or it could mean something else that I haven't thought of!

DJ_LBP
takin' a dinner break

Post by DJ_LBP » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:38 am

I had one for a little while and I really liked it, but I never got around to recording it. If you have a great sounding guitar with an even volume sweep, you can set it pretty dirty and clean it up by rolling back. I'd like to get another one. I recall some sort of controversy over units being made in two different countries, I think China and Korea. I think the Korean ones are supposed to be better? But you might want to google that for more information if it interests you.

I had an AD30 for a while too, and I definitely miss it. But I don't miss it as much as the AC30 I had for a short period. THAT amp was the tits.

Anyway, another option that is a little more expensive than the TT is the new Egnater Rebel 20. Good God that amp sounds great. Very versatile, but not a million knobs to get lost on either. 600 seems to be the new price for them.
Why not?

-Hunter S. Thompson

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:01 am

i definetly agree abuot the difference between the old Matamps and the new ones. I never fully cogited the knob schema on those old guys. And it was possible to get some truly horrendous sounds (as opposed to some of the old Fenders which I dont think have a bad setting).
The new ones are good, but just too polite. I may end up getting one of the AD200B or a thunderverb 200 though. Politeness can be corrected.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."