Online storage of data?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Online storage of data?

Post by Studiodawg » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:23 am

I want to put ~1.05GB audio data online somewhere for another person to download and do some overdubs...please advise on any free & easy solutions...thanks.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:03 pm

What I would do (I have access to an XP machine; dunno exactly what app you'd use on Mac): Put everything into one big folder (subfolders are ok), then use winrar to make .rar folders out of the big folder. You can limit folder size to just under 100 MB which means you'll be making 11 or 12 folders like this. winrar will automatically name them in order.

Then open a free mediafire account, which takes about 2 minutes, and then use their uploader tool (eazy cheezy all-at-once upload of your whole list) and then make the files 'private' at mediafire. They limit you to 100 MB per file unless you are paying the monthly fee.

It shouldn't take you more than about 10 minutes at the computer to set up the upload, then it will take 1/2 hour or so to complete. At the other end, your pal can grab all those files really fast (mediafire doesn't ration downloads like rapidshare and megaupload do) and unpack them all at once, and presto: you have just beamed a 1.0x GB folder to your pal on planet x.

mattvdh
ass engineer

Post by mattvdh » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:12 pm

I've had success with www.idrive.com. 2gb to sign up and if you refer a friend you get 12GB (total) all for free.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:23 pm

After seeing that idrive post I realize: Oh, hey, i just thought of a much easier way. Dropbox. 2 GB free. It just works like a folder on your desktop. DUH why didn't I think of that sooner. I use it constantly and never have to carry round a thumb drive anymore.

PM me if you want an invite and then we'll both get an extra bump up on storage space.

Forget all that monkey business with rar files and mediafire.