Is it safe to run a Fender Rhodes through these amps?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Spindrift
pushin' record

Is it safe to run a Fender Rhodes through these amps?

Post by Spindrift » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:39 pm

Would it be bad to run a Rhodes into a Brownface Fender Concert (4x10) or a Brownface Pro Amp (1x15)? Any chance the low notes would push the speaker too hard?

Thanks
Adam
"Bounce it around, lose a little quality. I can't hear that stuff anyway." - Tchad Blake

www.14blue.com

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:42 pm

Go for it. As far as the amp is concerned a Rhodes is just a really big electric guitar.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:02 am

Keep in mind that prior to the mid 60's there was no such thing as a bass amp. People would just use guitar amps turned down a bit. They're essentially the same thing.

Your amp should be fine. And if you decide the brownface concert isn't doing it for you you could always sell it to me....

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:52 pm

I would just add an extension speaker if possible and/or roll off a little bass.
I think Rhodes sound best thru the purpose built amp/speaker that fender made. Freaking beast though.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:14 pm

The standard amp for stage model Rhodes (those without a built in amp) is a Fender Twin.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:56 pm

the 2nd input on the channels of both of those Fender amps is
padded down a little. Give it a try.

Spindrift
pushin' record

Post by Spindrift » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:05 pm

Thanks for all the advice.

Any thoughts as to which of those two amps would sound better with a Rhodes? A bandmate is considering picking up one of them to do double duty on guitar and rhodes. i think he's set on a brownface amp for the guitar, but isn't sure which of these would be a better choice for the Rhodes.
"Bounce it around, lose a little quality. I can't hear that stuff anyway." - Tchad Blake

www.14blue.com

grockvt
takin' a dinner break

Post by grockvt » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:55 am

for recording I think you will be fine but I'd be careful - the rhodes and other keyboards can blow up guitar amps way easier than any guitar could...
end

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:24 am

grockvt wrote:for recording I think you will be fine but I'd be careful - the rhodes and other keyboards can blow up guitar amps way easier than any guitar could...
Other keyboards can be an issue (especially if they're putting out line level)but you're unlikely to blow up an amp with a Rhodes stage piano. It's a 100% passive pick-up system and has a lower output than your average Les Paul.

lefuquaire
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by lefuquaire » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:27 pm

that rhodes would sound great through either of those amps!
the brownface amps have a really nice unique tremolo sound, much different than black and silverface opto tremolo,
you might want to consider pulling the orginal speakers out and storing them if you will be gigging with the amp.
weber makes nice speakers.
i doubt youd have to worry too much if youve got a d130 in the pro.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:44 pm

I love how the output jack on the Rhodes Stage pianos was labled "input."

I guess they meant you *put in* your cord there.

I miss my Rhodes but I don't miss lugging it around.
I use Velvet now and that's a great sounding substitute for my needs.

You can hurt speakers with too much volume and too much bass, but you will know you are doing it because the speakers will sound very bad and nasty as they bottom out and whang their guts around. If it sounds pleasing and not horribly distorted, you won't hurt anything.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

mc437
pushin' record

Post by mc437 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:47 pm

We've been recording and gigging with a Rhodes through a blackface Band Master and matching cab for quite a while now and have never harmed anything. it sounds fantastic. A Fender Rhodes through a Fender amp is the right fit.

Spindrift
pushin' record

Post by Spindrift » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:17 am

We tried the amps out on the weekend. They both sounded great, but the Pro Amp with the JBL D130 was just pure goodness. It was really great on guitar in the store, even better than the Brownface Princeton he usually plays through. When we got it back to the house and plugged in the Rhodes, we were completely blown away. Absolutely amazing. The trem on it is the "harmonic vibrato" circuit and it sounded particularly great on the Rhodes. I thought it was cool on guitar too, but it really suited the sound of the Rhodes

Thanks again for the advice.

adam

www.14blue.com

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:09 pm

grockvt wrote:...the rhodes and other keyboards can blow up guitar amps way easier than any guitar could...
At the very least, that statement is misleading.

No amplifier, unless pushed beyond its operational envelope for long enough, will incur damage solely as a result of the instrument played through it.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron