Pro Tools HD / Soundcraft 400B

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

timpoison
audio school

Pro Tools HD / Soundcraft 400B

Post by timpoison » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:21 pm

My two buddies and I are currently in the process of setting up a studio. We are getting an HD2 system, but we need some sort of console. We are considering a Toft ATB16A, but they are on back order for a while. I have been looking at a lot of the older Soundcraft consoles, and just wanted some feedback on them. Specifically the 200B and the 400B. On these consoles is it possible to go out of each channel using the preamp and EQ and go into my HD interface? Do people have better suggestions for a decent temporary console solution? Are we better off just going with some preamps? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

MitoPro
alignin' 24-trk

no direct outs on 200B

Post by MitoPro » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:36 pm

I've got a 16x4x2 200B in my home studio that I use with a Pro Tools LE rig. There's no direct outs on the console- so the only way to get signal to your converters is via the buss (group) outs, or the aux sends. I'm guessing that the console could be modified to have direct outs, but I haven't looked into it. Other things to be aware of with these boards- no polarity reverse on the channels, no EQ in/out switch, and the pre/post aux switches are internal- you have to remove the channel strip to access the jumpers. None of these things are deal-breakers, but they are somewhat limiting. Aside for that, the board is great. The pres sound good (not amazing, not awesome, but a solid 'good'- I've gotten some great tones using them), the EQ is very useful and having real console features like VU meters and an oscillator for calibration are a bonus. There are 2 different mono mic/line channel strips that fit in this board- 2101 have fix EQ and 2105 has sweepable mids.

Not sure what the differences between the 400B and 200B are, but I can only imagine they are pretty similar.

Audio Upgrades offers modifications for these boards: http://www.audioupgrades.com/

Hope that helps.

- Matt

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:19 am

You can do the ol' halfway-in on the inserts to get direct out on a 200b. I like the 200 - EQ is nice, and I really like the preamp; it's not hard to get a really good sound from these boards. I am not a fan of the Toft as I think the build quality is really lame and my experience with their customer service implied that they were not quick to move on things.