where do you order sage products from?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

losthighway
resurrected

where do you order sage products from?

Post by losthighway » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:11 am

I think the Bova Ball might have to jump in my mic locker some day. Where do you buy them from? They have a price on the Sage site but no 'shopping cart' or 'checkout page' or what have you.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:18 am

I'd try their contact page.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:57 pm

Yup, just send them an email. They're a family run business. Nicest people in the universe btw.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:41 pm

Seriously, it is crazy how cool and nice they are. Just give them a call or send em an email.

And the Bova Ball does rule my world. I have really only used it on drums so far but I will be using it on everythiing shortly to see how it holds up.

Plus, the US dollar was stronger now than when I got my bova ball, so they are a bit cheaper now. I thought about getting a pair. . .
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

BENDYmusic
gettin' sounds

Post by BENDYmusic » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:50 pm

I'm a huge fan (have 3), they are great mics! Work well on acoustic guitar, piano, overhead, hat, etc.. they are sightly brighter than flat, great mids and low end too, and have a terrific off-axis response. They tend to make rooms sound more even and neutral, also the mounting allows for very easy and flexible adjustments. I keep two on a stereo bar, and the third for spot mic. You won't regret this mic purchase. Oh and yes, they are great people and very nice to talk to.

&e
Andy Snavley

Chief Sound Bender
BENDY
http://bendymusic.com/
http://bendysound.com/

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:48 am

I held back on this one... ;)

The Sage stuff is truly some of my absolute favorite gear. Period.
The pre's are gorgeous, and work really well on a variety of sources. They are built really well, look great, sound great, and are working on every session I do, and that is like every single day!!!
The bova ball has been on every drum recording I have one for years now. Again, that is the true measure of a microphone or a piece of gear when you have a bunch of choices. one of our Bova balls actually STAYS on a stand at studio G, because Tony (maimone) and I use the thing on almost every single drum recording session. If I am producing and engineering, starting with basics, then you can bet there will be some Sage in there.
I wish they had an EQ, with the same amplifier as the pre, so I could get some sage goodness in the mix phase, when that is my job.

Anyway, Tell Janet I say hello when you email them. They are truly amazing people and I support them fully. I dont have one complaint. Support of their products is so good... it is like joining a family rather than buying something. With so many choices out there, why not choose the stuff that sounds great, lasts forever because the build is super nice, and support is a phone call or email away and the people on the other end of that call actually CARE!
Amazing.
Everyone should have a bova ball and/or a couple of the SE-1 pre's kicking around.

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:41 am

joel hamilton wrote: Support of their products is so good... it is like joining a family rather than buying something.
How many audio companies send holiday cards? Not like "holiday sale, order now!" cards, but "hey, hope things are cool, happy __whatever holiday__" cards. Nice folks.

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:53 am

I'm thinking of drinking the bova kool-aide, and getting a bova ball(or a stereo pair....).
So if you don't mind my derailing this thread, what can I expect with a pair of these things on overhead duties? Originally I just wanted a mono room mic that would bring some real air into my small tracking space, but I can't help but wonder how they'd sound as a "traditional" stereo pair. Joel, anyone?

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:47 am

joel hamilton wrote:The bova ball has been on every drum recording I have one for years now.

Ever since that Battle of Mice record, I've wanted one pretty bad.

What elso do you like using your balls on?

Also, are they omni? I always thought they were, but it says nothing about it on the website.

And, regarding the pres... Do you ever feel like lack of a pad is a problem? I assume not, b/c I know you like them a lot on kick and snare.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:41 am

This thread could go south quickly.

Joel: "I like putting my balls about 6" from a female singers mouth..."

Huh huhhuhhuhhuhhhuh.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:56 am

Those drums sound ball-sy. :|

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:23 am

b3groover wrote:This thread could go south quickly.

Joel: "I like putting my balls about 6" from a female singers mouth..."

Huh huhhuhhuhhuhhhuh.

WOW! Amazing. Mine was subtle, but you... you went right for the, ummmm.... throat.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:22 pm

Wow, that didn't take long to go down hill!!

Well the bova rules as a behind the shoulder mic and an ambient mic (down the hallway from the tracking room). I haven't had a chance to try it on much more yet, but we start tracking the next Deer Meet record in a week or so and I will be trying it on everything to see how it does.

it is omni but not as omni as most omnis I have heard, but Joel can explain that way better than me. I find it a bit bright but in a really good way; it really brings out the thwack on the snare and toms. But it has a really good amount of low end info too. And it takes compression really well. By itself it's good, compressed it's awesome, compressed and added in with the rest of the kit its fabulous.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:00 pm

Man....i really want a set of these balls.
someday....

but seriously....they sound awesome. I'm really trying to decide to order one or not (or a pair...heh). I usually use a ldc over the shoulder in omni, but I'd love to use this as the over shoulder and utilze the ldc elsewhere. Hmmm....only around 500 hundred bucks too.

aww....just buy a pair already.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:57 am

T-rex wrote: By itself it's good, compressed it's awesome, compressed and added in with the rest of the kit its fabulous.
You said it perfectly.

Yeah, the spherical omni thing is neat. Look it up. There is directionality at certain frequencies, returning to omni at the outer edges of the spectrum.... gives a very focused, punchy omni vibe.