Mixing level confusion

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chips
alignin' 24-trk

Mixing level confusion

Post by chips » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:18 pm

Hi there,

I am still very new to recording but I am trying to learn as much as I can to improve my techniques.
I use cubase and mix in the box

I read that when tracking, my peaks should be hitting around -12dbfs.

I understand this, but does it also mean that when I am mixing ITB, each track should also be hitting no higher than -12dbfs ? Then I could use limiting and compression on the master bus to increase the volume. Or am i ok to have my faders up full when mixing ?

Thanks in advance for any help.
C

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:08 pm

The -12 dBFS is mainly to optimize the performance of your converters on the way in; and to insure you don't have transients clipping at 0 dBFS. When mixing, just keep the mix buss level around -3 dBFS or less if you want to leave room for mastering.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:51 pm

i would think that if you wanted your mix to peak below 0dbfs, then you couldn't really have any tracks peaking much above -12 in the first place, could you? whenever i get outside tracks to mix and everything is recorded right up to 0dbfs, the first thing i do is turn everything down 12db and even then i feel like i run out of headroom pretty quick.

if you just track stuff at reasonable levels (you can go even lower than -12, i have stuff peaking at -20 to -16 all the time) then it won't be an issue at all and you can just worry about making the mix sound good.

ovalroaster
audio school

Post by ovalroaster » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:30 pm

warning: newbie question.

if during tracking your peaks are at -12 or as low as -20, aren't you inviting higher noise levels? i was under the impression that you should try to get as hot as possible without clipping in an effort to keep noise to a minimum.

i understand that you wouldn't want to risk clipping, but what's this about your converters optimum recording level?

cheers.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:56 pm

that's a classic newb question!

if you're recording at 24 bit then the noise floor is so far below the noise of your room and all your gear that it's not an issue. so there's no reason to 'use all the bits', that went out with 16 bit.

plus if you are tracking stuff right up to 0dbfs you are likely driving all your mic pres really hot, and pushing your converters hotter than they'd like as well. so there's not really any good reason to record up to 0, but there's a host of good reasons not to.

there's a bunch of threads here and one at the top of the 'whatever works' forum at prosoundweb if you wanna read more.

ovalroaster
audio school

Post by ovalroaster » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:01 pm

I'm a classic newb!

Thanks for the reply.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:33 pm

-12 has become a standard when you maintain '0' unity gain between console and recording device. Most large scale sessions take time to calibrate '0' from Pro Tools/Tape Machine to console in a mix situation. It's just a level standardization.

If you've got not console in the mix and you're not working in a 'real' studio, don't sweat it. Just don't peak your meters in your mixes.