Two DMP3's, one rack space.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Two DMP3's, one rack space.

Post by Spark » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:15 am

Will two DMP3's fit mount on a one rack space shelf? I know they take more than 1U of space in height, but how are they for width?

Maybe before I get two carried away asking that, are these things all they are cracked up to be? I am looking for four more pres to fill out my Digi003/Digimax LT setup, and these get pretty good reviews for not a lot of cash it seems. I cant afford anything special, like a Neve clone, or an API so I am considering something like these. Thoughts?

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:16 pm

i can check when i get home, but i believe they will fit side by side -- i had one next to an RME multiface for a while that was a standard 1/2 rack size. a little taller though, as you mentioned.

For super cheap I think they are pretty great -- clean, and some useful features like DI, hi pass, phantom, phase, metering. They were my first outboard pres. I don't use them much now as I have enough channels of other stuff for most tracking, but I wouldn't hesitate to use them if needing extra channels. Not sure if they would be much better than the 03 pres. Haven't used them much, but the ones on my mbox pro I think are not dissimilar -- not alot of color, just sorta works. But i dunno, maybe this sells the DMP3 short. $80 a channel i think? For double that you could also get a used sytek...prolly the next step up.
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:37 pm

definitely not as good as the sytek - but at the same time i use them all the time on guitars - just the way the gear i have lays out. it's a decent little preamp that's also come in hand on some small remote things i've done as well.

i'm not in front of mine, but i'd imagine you could track down a manufacturer manual that has the actual dimentions on it somewhere.

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:57 am

The Sytek... yah, thats definitely a consideration. The money is kinda tight here, but still.

Xonlocust, good idea on the manual. I checked and its not in there. Oh well... It was still a good suggestion. When you say you are using them on guitars, do you mean electric or acoustic?

Thanks.

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:11 am

btw, i did check and they def fit width wise in a rack. For a while they were the only pres i had so used them on vocals, guitars (acoustic + electric), bass DI, percussion, horns. Totally decent and usable.
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:03 am

Awesome! Thanks!