STUDIOMASTER POTENTIOMER QUESTIONS?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

beefy
gimme a little kick & snare

STUDIOMASTER POTENTIOMER QUESTIONS?

Post by beefy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:40 am

I Recenty bought an old studiomaster 12 into 2. I really like the preamps on it, but most of them need most of the pots replaced. I finally found a place that have pots I think will fit, except the gain pots are reverse log and I can only find log pots what happens if i just use those. Or does anybody know a place I can find the reverse ones

Also some of the potentiometers are the ones that look double stacked and I can't seem to find them. If I at least new what they were called maybe i could find them. also have a wondering if anybody new anything about finding a replacement for the 6 way switch, but I'm not as worried about that becaust the channel line outs seem to work with out it. any info would be apprecated

nclayton
steve albini likes it

Post by nclayton » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:19 pm

You're better off using linear pots than log pots there. Regular log pots will have really horrible taper. Unless you wire them backwards so that the gain goes down as the pot goes up.

I assume that mixer has a typical sort of long tailed pair mic preamp. If so, and if a lot of the gain pots are scratchy, I'll bet there is no DC blocking cap between the pot and the emitters. New pots might still be just as scratchy. Do you have a schematic?

Then again, if ALL the pots are scratchy, maybe not.

You tried some pot cleaner on them?

beefy
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by beefy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:40 pm

Yeah reading more about it I decided to use liniar pots if I have to I dont have the schematics for Its an older one. The date inspection date on the inside is a says 1982 12 into 2. I've tried fader lube on some of the pots, it helps a little but some of the pots feels like they have grains of sand in them they are pretty bad and I only get static on some of the channels when I turn up one of the the treble knobs or one of the bass nobs up it varies on each channel. a lot of the gain pots are bad too but I'm pretty sure thats the problem.

So pretty much right now I have one good channel with about 70 dBs of clean gain and I'd like to get that number up even if i get 2 channels. That still would be good I only paid 75 dollars for the thing and I'll pay that for one good pre any day If I can get a few more for 50 or 100 bucks I think that would be pretty sweet.

I'd take it to get it fixed but the only place I know around St. louis charges an arm and a leg for my amp repair.They do a great job but I know a little bit about the stuff myself and can afford the alternative right now.

I have more to say about it but I'm running pretty long so any help with the info i gave you would be appreciated. Thanks