Cracked cymbal

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

johndice
audio school

Cracked cymbal

Post by johndice » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:01 pm

I found a Zildjian K crash/ride cymbal for sale (seems like really good price) but it has 1.5 inch crack on the outside. I have done some searching on the net for fixes, I am just trying to get some personal experiences also.

Should I buy it?

DJ_LBP
takin' a dinner break

Post by DJ_LBP » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:34 pm

personally I have never paid more than 20 bucks for a cracked cymbal, and that was a pair of hihats with a crack in the top one.

I have seen the trick of drilling at the end of the crack, I know someone who cuts them down as well.

Ks are really cool, I've never played one with that large of a crack in it though.

I say if it's cheap, fuck it, go for it, but I'm a sucker for crap like this.

Full disclosure: My whole cymbal set is cracked cymbals. HH, a cracked crash, and a china that only has a couple inches of the outside part still attached at the fold. Fuck it, I'm not that great a drummer yet.
Why not?

-Hunter S. Thompson

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:14 pm

There really is no way to fix a cracked cymbal. If it sounds good, you can use it until it breaks more and doesn't sound good.

johndice
audio school

Post by johndice » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:39 am

I just got back from my local used music shop and picked up an 18" z custom for 130 bucks.

Way more then what I would have paid for that other cymbal but I got to thinking I'd rather pay that extra couple bucks for a cymbal w/o any cracks.

Seems like I got a good deal.

I don't really understand why I got the sudden urge to get a new cymbal cause my drums are out in storage. But this is reason enough to go pull them out and piss off the neighbors.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:11 pm

Next to a gig, that's the best reason of all!

Unless it's to piss off the roomate/sig.other ... :twisted:

Now I'm reminded about the time we were gigging at Metro and I whacked the crash a little too hard with my guitar head (part of the show, I did it fairly often) and took a 3" pie-slice out of the cymbal.

The guitar had just a 1/4" chip, but the drummer hadda much bigger one on his shoulder from that incident.

Cymbal still sounded good, tho.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:20 pm

farview wrote:There really is no way to fix a cracked cymbal. If it sounds good, you can use it until it breaks more and doesn't sound good.
Pretty much!

Thought you could then take tin snips and cut a v out of the cymbal and see what that does... Don't believe the drilling a hole crap. It doesn't work.

ckeene
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ckeene » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:03 am

you can cut down cymbals that have edge cracks no problem. I've been playing a ride for years that I had to cut down by about an inch. works great. Trick is to get it early.

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:04 am

i think the whole drilling/cutting down cracks thing depends on what kind of player you are. if you're a pounding rock guy, you'll just crack it again anyway. granted, drilling/cutting may keep it playable for longer.

if i tour a lot, i usually go through both my crashes every 1-2 years.

man, guitarists and bassists have it easy. maybe you have to replace your tubes every once in a while, give your guitar a setup once a year and change strings every couple weeks. kicks the shit out of changing heads, breaking sticks, hardware, cymbals. nevermind carrying all that crap around.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:06 am

permanent hearing damage wrote:nevermind carrying all that crap around.
at least your kit doesn't weigh 300 lbs. :)
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:26 am

RefD wrote:at least your kit doesn't weigh 300 lbs. :)
It doesn't?
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:34 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:
RefD wrote:at least your kit doesn't weigh 300 lbs. :)
It doesn't?
does it?
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca