Headphones that travel well

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Headphones that travel well

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:15 am

Hello people of the world,

Does anyone have any glowing recommendations for any specific pair of headphones that travel very well, have an 1/8" jack, but sound like real headphones?
I like 'phones like the beyer DT990's, but they SUCK to travel with because they are big and will break in a bag. Something that folds down well would be great... something like in-ear monitors would not be comfortable for the 8-12 hour flights I am hoping to use these on. I will be doing editing and remix type stuff on a plane and in hotel rooms and stuff this summer quite a bit, so i need a good setup with my Mbox micro that i just got.

Smart people of the world, what headphones should i get to edit tracks on the shores of lake como?

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Post by Studiodawg » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:05 am

Sennheiser HD280 (I think it's 280?)...travel well. The ears fold 90 degrees and sit in my laptop case and do remote gigs. I actually have the new(ish)Audio Technica headphones, but have been using the Sennheisers because they travel well...they are on my head in my avatar.

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:18 am

Joel, there is always the sony mdr7506 for foldability, but I'd think you'd already considered that. One can get work done on them, but they have that hypey upper mid thing.

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:31 am

Sony 7506's are my daily LIRR commuter headphones. I keep them folded up in the outside pocket of my backpack and they are holding up well.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:36 am

I travel quite a bit with my job, and always bring my Grado 80's.

They don't fold up or anything, but they are not bulky and are well made/robust. So far they have put up with 2+ years of being thrown about in my computer bag.

One caveat - they have an open back design, so they don't have much bass, but they have very detailed (some may say unforgiving) mid-range.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

SkullChris
takin' a dinner break

Post by SkullChris » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:38 am

I LOVE my Audio Technica ATH-M50's. They're phenomenally balanced, very comfortable, they fold up and come with a nice leather carrying bag. Sometimes I'll throw them on during mixing for some critical listening, and realize an hour later that I'm still wearing them. Not to mention, they seem to be getting some big endorsements from some big names. -Chris
"Live to Win!"
brieflives.bandcamp.com
lubec.bandcamp.com/
hexmachinery.blogspot.com/

alkooloid
alignin' 24-trk

Post by alkooloid » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:52 am

Yeah, I'm really digging my M50's too.
BUT (and it's a big one) my bro has the Ultrsone 700 PROs
and they come with a really trick carrying case that
is big but not overly so, and is super slick for travel.
Don't believe everything you think.

PeterAuslan
gettin' sounds

Post by PeterAuslan » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:52 am

+1 on the Senn HD 280s. I travel a lot and they do a better job of isolating you from the roar of the jet engines than the 7506's

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Post by Studiodawg » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:00 pm

I can definitely tell you that the Senn HD280s travel better than the Audio Technica ATH-M50...I have both and do many remote recordings.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:19 pm

I'll +1 on the HD 280 - decent sound, great isolation. Folds up into a fairly tight package, but can also be stowed flat (rotate cups 90 degrees), which I find to be ideal.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:29 pm

I tried out the HD 280's and found them to be really uncomfortable. Very tight around the head, even when adjusted.

Maybe I just have a huge head.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:41 pm

MY brother has these Shure in ear monitors that sound soo fucking good. I can't remember the model number I think they are the SE310MPA or something

segaface
steve albini likes it

Post by segaface » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:47 pm

InvalidInk wrote:MY brother has these Shure in ear monitors that sound soo fucking good. I can't remember the model number I think they are the SE310MPA or something
+1

I have a cheapo pair of the Shure in-ear phones (they were like $125 or so), and I think they sound pretty good. They also block out the crazy loud engine noises and crying babies on airplanes, so that's a plus.
fossiltooth wrote: That's like saying you hate Fenders because of Yngwie Malmsteen.
My musics.

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:06 pm

Another +1 on the HD280s. Here I was thinking what a total nerd I am for traveling with such cumbersome headphones, so I'm glad to see that I'm definitely not alone! :D

They fold nicely and have great isolation. What more could you ask for?
Recycled_Brains wrote:I tried out the HD 280's and found them to be really uncomfortable. Very tight around the head, even when adjusted.

Maybe I just have a huge head.
Supposedly, they get better once you break them in, but I never found mine uncomfortable (and I do have a big head), so...
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:06 pm

PeterAuslan wrote:+1 on the Senn HD 280s. I travel a lot and they do a better job of isolating you from the roar of the jet engines than the 7506's
Right on.
The 7506's just never did it for me. The way they sound, and they dont really fold up small enough.
The in ear thing sounds like a good idea as well. I had thought of that, but I just wasnt sure thats what I wanted. They can get uncomfortable for me after like 2 hours.. Headphones are just more comfortable.

I will check out the Senn HD280's. THANKS to everyone that chimed in.
I am psyched to be doing a ton of this stuff in beautiful places around the world this summer. Its been a goal to head out whenever I wasnt booked for a NYC specific situation, to go work on stuff in remote areas....

I will check out the Shure SCL3's (thats what they are called) as well. They may just be the way to go, because they will fit in my laptop case without even trying, and I can use them in more normal places, like on the subway... I dont like having a giant set of studio phones on my head with an iphone/ipod...
FOr travel, the SHure's may win it.