Tiny tube amps?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:06 pm

vvv wrote:Re that Elektar, I think I recall they were like a small indie co. that Gibson ended up buying, and they sold the Elektar amps as Epiphone - I think that's how it went.
Electar was originally a series released by Epiphone in 1935. Gibson bought Epiphone, and then the Electars we have were made in the 90s, I guess just using the same name (and trying to have an old fashioned look with the big plate logo). I'm sure glad I found this thing, so cool to hear someone else on here has got one!
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:15 pm

Here she is, mic'd with the ubertar ribbon, the 2x12" cab made from a old Peavy Classic below:

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:23 pm

Is it me, or does that amp setup look precariously perched? Don't let it fall. Only a fool abuses his tool.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:16 am

Hey! My tool is happy ..

Amp's been there for about 2 years - the cab's set on a cuppla them big metal-banded milk crates (what are filled with effects pedals, strings, etc.)

The amp itself is fastened with 3/4x12" case-hardened u-shaped steel bridge bolts what are fastened to a concrete-filled iron vertical 6" dia. ground-sunk (36") column, and a 1/4 lb. of superglue-based epoxy.

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

IDQ
alignin' 24-trk

Lil' Nighttrain

Post by IDQ » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:23 am

Another thing that has caught my eye, though just slightly pricier, is the Vox lil' night train. Anyone played through one?

So, I guessI should get a cabinet, both to better utilize the pathfinder, and to have for when I find just the right mini-tube head. The Vox cab that is intended for the night train is pretty reasonably priced.

However, I also played through an old ampeg 1x12 cab at a used shop the other day. I thought it sounded pretty cool (they had a valve jr hooked up to it). They wanted $150 for it. Anyone have any thoughts on those cabs?

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:58 pm

As long as you guys are happy together.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:12 pm

Damn! Now I got that song (The Turtles?) runnin' 'round my brain ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Bondo
audio school

Post by Bondo » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:29 pm

Hi all, my first post here.

I have been really happy with my Class 5. It really does scream and is very simple. Even the combo is a bit too loud for some of the places I go to jam. I generally really really do not like Marshall Amps by the way- but this one is a perfect choice for a small amp. When I was looking at these different amps I had went in to GC with the intent to probably leave with a Blues Jr. or maybe one of the small Vox amps. I really just plugged in to the Marshall on a whim, I mean I could never like a marshal, but this bad boy absolutely screams and gives me all of the dirty Rock and Roll I want.

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:45 am

Since I'm moving out of my basement space and setting up in a spare bedroom with volume constraints, I was looking for a tiny EL84 amp that could be cranked without waking up the kid, etc. I scoured the web and Craigslist, and ended up with a Bugera V5, a 5W amp with power attenuator and reverb (albeit digital). I dug the demo I saw on youtube, and was pretty impressed when I auditioned the amp in person, so I took it home.

Apparently I've been living under a rock since my kid was born, because I missed the fact that Behringer is the parent company of Bugera. :cry: This because I'd just violated for the first time my long-held no-Behringer rule. UGH.

Feelings aside, this sounds pretty darn good. Not saying it's a bedroom AC-30, but it does the chiming overdriven clean EL84 thing well. I plugged in my late 40s Harmony lap steel, and I have to say, I'm hooked.

I can't speak to the build quality (I suspect it is not good) and I despise Behringer as a company for filling up Guitar Centers across the country to the roof with truckloads of their their cheap shiny silver boxes.

But the amp sounds better than one would think. Just sayin. I would be interested in putting some real tubes in there to see what happens.

Freakmagnet451
gettin' sounds

Post by Freakmagnet451 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:37 pm

I've been playing guitar for 42 years, have owned dozens of amps of all descriptions including 6 different Mesa, who knows how many Fenders, converted PA systems, movie projector amps, solid state, tube, hybrid etc. I just sold a mint Emerysound Stagebaby with the Superbaby option, have played through a Dumble or two, Jim Kelly, bla bla bla etc...

I have not tried everything and there are some suggestions here that are interesting.

At this point my all time favorite small amp is a Tech 21 Trademark 10 that I got on craigslist for $75. I can easily dial in all the great Fender clean and grindy sounds, Marshall amps of all sizes and gain structures, singing Mesa tones and all at any low volume I want.

As unlikely as it may seem, the direct out (XLR with a ground lift switch!!) sounds very, very good as well.

It is not small but I also love the Tech 21 Trademark 60. Very different layout and options than the Trademark 10, does the Vox and or Fender Champ bouncing off the chair thing better and has better reverb (both have spring reverb!). Again, any tone I want at any lower volume.

Yes, they are both solid state and no, I am not deaf. Just amazed. :shock:
"There is never enough time to be in a hurry"

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Wed May 04, 2011 6:23 am

i cant say enough about the super champ xd.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed May 04, 2011 6:56 pm

I picked up an Egg-n-tater Tweaker 112 combo recently for my studio. I don't play guitar much (or very well), but I dig the sounds I can get from it. Good cleans to total thrash and in between. The real proof is when a *real* guitar player plugs in and then proceeds to play non-stop for the next 30 minutes unaware of anyone else in the room because the tone is awesome and they know it.

the only thing it doesn't have is a reverb tank, but that is easily fixed, with a pedal, or in mixing.

Mike

edit: I should add I also have a Pignose portable, Blues Junior, Line 6 (30W, 12") and an Epiphone Valve Junior with a few mods. I had a Fender Blues Deville 410 but sold it when I got the Egnater. I like small amps. 8)
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Tue May 10, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

IDQ
alignin' 24-trk

Lil' Night Train

Post by IDQ » Sun May 08, 2011 5:52 pm

So, I posted on this topic previously, and yesterday I finally pulled the trigger and bought the Vox Lil' Night Train tube head, which is 2W. Before I was about to go to the local shop to buy it, I happened to see a craigslist ad for the NT112 cab - the one that is "supposed" to go with the 15W night train, and has some version of a Greenback in it. I picked it up for $110, and then headed to the store for the LNT.

I think this thing plays and sounds pretty amazing. It doesn't do everything, but it is also not a one-trick pony, which was my finding when demo'ing a number of the other low-watt tube amps (some of those limitations noted in my prior post). It is very touch responsive - meaning that the you can make a significant change in the breakup by altering the pick attack. It also brings out the subtle differences in my pickups much more than my solid state amps have. I also think the open 12" speaker will offer more possibilities than the closed-back 10" that is "supposed" to go with this item, though admittedly it is pretty easy to let the sucker get WAY too bright if you are playing clean and get the treble knob past 6 or 7.

If it would be helpful to anyone considering these type of amps, I would be happy to make a brief recording of a few different sounds out of this amp, but if most of you already have access to it to try yourself, I won't bother. Bear in mind, I'm a hobbyist not a pro, so my setup is a very pedestrian bedroom-studio kinda thing. Let me know if there's interest.