how does a room with...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

blackmajik2021
audio school graduate

how does a room with...

Post by blackmajik2021 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:25 pm

how does a room with 3 normal walls and one brick wall sound?

does the single brick wall throw everything off, or does it help because of its rough shape?

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:21 am

i don't know how a hypothetical dimensionless room will sound, but i do know that bricks are good.

blackmajik2021
audio school graduate

Post by blackmajik2021 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:57 am

i dont think it would be specific to the size. has anyone ever seen a studio with exposed brick walls instead of drywall or another smooth surface? Im having trouble finding information about them.

Ethan Winer
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: how does a room with...

Post by Ethan Winer » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:05 am

blackmajik2021 wrote:does the single brick wall throw everything off, or does it help because of its rough shape?
Brick and drywall (and wood, and plaster, etc) reflect more or less the same. My Surface Reflectivity article addresses the issue.

A "rough shape" could potentially serve as a diffusor, but the pit depth needs to be at least three inches or more, and brick doesn't even come close. My video All About Diffusion may be of interest to you because it lets you hear various surfaces close up.

--Ethan

blackmajik2021
audio school graduate

Re: how does a room with...

Post by blackmajik2021 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:29 am

Ethan Winer wrote:
blackmajik2021 wrote:does the single brick wall throw everything off, or does it help because of its rough shape?
Brick and drywall (and wood, and plaster, etc) reflect more or less the same. My Surface Reflectivity article addresses the issue.

A "rough shape" could potentially serve as a diffusor, but the pit depth needs to be at least three inches or more, and brick doesn't even come close. My video All About Diffusion may be of interest to you because it lets you hear various surfaces close up.

--Ethan
thanks a lot, really useful. :D

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:03 pm

Just to add to Ethan's advice, the fact that one wall is brick will have less of an impact on the rooms sound than the treatment you use, and the way the room is laid out.

For more on layout, this article might help you.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:43 pm

blackmajik2021 wrote:has anyone ever seen a studio with exposed brick walls instead of drywall or another smooth surface? Im having trouble finding information about them.
this place is supposed to sound alright.