Latest gear you've resurrected

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon May 04, 2009 5:38 pm

For some reason, my 1993 Alesis Quadraverb Plus is now working 100% again. The inputs stopped working for me in Oct 1998 during a session, and I gave it to a friend in Summer 1999 to use if he could get it working. He couldn't, and it just sat at his place.

He gave it back to me last October as a joke house warming gift, and it sat in a cable box until 2 days ago when I decided to hook it up and run my SCI SixTrak through it. Works perfectly. It even had my old crummy presets stored in it since... 1996!!! And it's been powered down for over 10 years! I restored all of the factory presets and some of them actually sound really really good. Plus it is a breeze to program and the verbs sound good. Ran it for 2 hours, then kept it on overnight and ran stuff through it again. No issues except for the input and output knobs on the front that need some cleaning (scratchy). Which may have been the problem!

So I am racking it up!

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon May 04, 2009 8:56 pm

i use my Quardaverb Plus with my DW-8000 that has a dead DDL section and it rules.

*is jealous of your Six Trak*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Mon May 04, 2009 11:21 pm

RefD wrote: *is jealous of your Six Trak*
Man, I've had this since 1996. I am the third owner, and the last owner was the guy who did all of the sound files for Bob Moog's court case that ultimately got him his name back (Big Briar to Moog). He bought it from the first owner in 1986 or something like that and it sat in its case for years. He was a collector, had a Pophet 5 and a Prophet 10!!! Anyway when I got it ii was like store new, and it came with a hardshell case. I paid $300 for it in Sept or Oct of 1996. It still looks great, but has some scratchy data knobs and pots. Need to clean it up.

Great synth.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Circuit Scream
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Circuit Scream » Fri May 08, 2009 5:41 am

Last week I did a few beats with my Yamaha RY10 drum machine (circa 1994) and Alesis Philtre. Hadn't used it in at least a year.
"I avoided capture by using your Mak'tar stealth haze"
--Quellek

Donnie Maynard Christianson
aka Circuit Scream
Sci-fi Inspired Ambient/Electronic Guitar Rock
http://twitter.com/circuitscream

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri May 08, 2009 8:26 am

ipressrecord wrote:
RefD wrote: *is jealous of your Six Trak*
Man, I've had this since 1996. I am the third owner, and the last owner was the guy who did all of the sound files for Bob Moog's court case that ultimately got him his name back (Big Briar to Moog). He bought it from the first owner in 1986 or something like that and it sat in its case for years. He was a collector, had a Pophet 5 and a Prophet 10!!! Anyway when I got it ii was like store new, and it came with a hardshell case. I paid $300 for it in Sept or Oct of 1996. It still looks great, but has some scratchy data knobs and pots. Need to clean it up.

Great synth.

Jeff
i know, i had one back in the 80s that i stupidly sold for $350 in 1989 to some college kid who promptly trashed it.

it's remarkably deep for a single oscillator synth from 1984.

i loved the mode you could put it in that turned it into 6 mono synths.

*tries to not spiral into seller's remorse*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri May 08, 2009 8:34 am

We dropped off some stuff at goodwill, and I saw one of these in a pile by the dumpster. Said they were going to toss it because the seller said it didn't work. I said hey, I'll take it and see if I can fix it. They said ask the manager. Manager said she couldn't give it to me but they could put it on the shelf and they would determine a price and I could come next week to see if it was still available. I didn't make it back.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri May 08, 2009 9:17 am

shedshrine wrote:We dropped off some stuff at goodwill, and I saw one of these in a pile by the dumpster. Said they were going to toss it because the seller said it didn't work. I said hey, I'll take it and see if I can fix it. They said ask the manager. Manager said she couldn't give it to me but they could put it on the shelf and they would determine a price and I could come next week to see if it was still available. I didn't make it back.
a Six Trak by the dumpster? :shock:

*goes into the garage and weeps over work bench*

Circuit Scream
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Circuit Scream » Fri May 08, 2009 9:41 am

shedshrine wrote:We dropped off some stuff at goodwill, and I saw one of these in a pile by the dumpster. Said they were going to toss it because the seller said it didn't work. I said hey, I'll take it and see if I can fix it. They said ask the manager. Manager said she couldn't give it to me but they could put it on the shelf and they would determine a price and I could come next week to see if it was still available. I didn't make it back.
Heheh, I had a similar thing about 14-15 yrs ago with a Kay jumbo acoustic. We were donating clothes and the guy was heading to the dumpster with the guitar over his shoulder. I hollered "Hold on - I'll take that!", he looked around to make sure his boss wasn't looking, grinned, and chucked it in my car.

What was wrong with it? It needed strings.
"I avoided capture by using your Mak'tar stealth haze"
--Quellek

Donnie Maynard Christianson
aka Circuit Scream
Sci-fi Inspired Ambient/Electronic Guitar Rock
http://twitter.com/circuitscream

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri May 08, 2009 10:23 am

Hmm, what else..

My ?89 Korg A3 effects unit died, but it was just a battery (and losing a few presets)

I drove by a house where they were putting stuff on the curb saying ?free-take me? because some renters had trashed the place and skipped town. There was a Marshall head, missing knobs and wreaking of weed, beer and cigarettes. I got it home and it was intermittent. The input had been twisted around until the wiring was torn. No plexi though, just a valvestate 100.

Old pair of Sennheiser phones I?d stepped on and broken the ball joint on one cup I drilled a couple small holes in the band and ran a couple loops of fishing line through to hold it in place. Worked well as it provided give to conform to your head.

Then bought some newer Sennheiser 280 pros. The headband was so tight there was definite blood flow blockage and your head would hurt after awhile. I kept holding the cups and pulling outward trying to stretch it out a bit. Managed to crack the headband doing that but now they fit great, just enough tension to let the foam compress a bit but not clamp your head.

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Fri May 08, 2009 12:25 pm

i finally ordered a replacement power supply for my frostwave resonator.
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Fri May 08, 2009 12:32 pm

aurelialuz wrote:i finally ordered a replacement power supply for my frostwave resonator.
Those things are great. My buddy had one for several years, then sold it without letting me pic it up from him. I was a little pissed at him for that.

Jeff

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri May 08, 2009 7:21 pm

I started play guitar again regularly.. as in, with a new band...

the mig 100 started to make some odd noises so its at the shop for repair.. damn,... i love that amp.. yeah, there are a lot of lemons out there, but after owning the thing for 15 years, its been to a few doctors and it just gets better and better each time. dont' need any overdrive or distortion pedal.. just a volume pedal and holier grail is doing the job now.. I'm sure i'll throw in the 20 year old rat pedal at some point for something.. fuck, its been used in the guitar chain forever.. might as well be along for the ride.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sat May 09, 2009 5:50 am

Nice!!! :D
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com