E.V. RE10=best thing ever?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:54 am

The side grill, I believe, has something to do with reducing the effect of proximity effect.

The switch is the high pass filter. It is useful. You should see their little flat line or diagonal line etched into the side. With flat response you can get awesome guitar tones. With flat response you can get vocal tones very similar to the RE20, maybe a little gushier mids and a little less low response. Put in the high pass and you can get a nice semi-AM-radio low fi sound for vocals and acoustic guitars. But I would call it 'relatively low fi' for vocals, not tin can.

kilsin
audio school graduate

Post by kilsin » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:57 pm

I have an re11 that sounds kind of honky (real mid rangy to me). Want to examine the XLR connection. Can't get it appart though.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:45 pm

minorkeylee wrote:What does the little switch do on the RE10? I know its some sort of rolloff, but didn't really get what the manual was saying. And why does it have that 'grill' running down the shaft? I have one of these mics, but have never figured out these two questions....Anyone?
Rolloff and the vents ARE to reduce proximity effect.
They had a name for it... like the "D-grill" or the "D-something...." I forget now.
it was a patented design, of course, with a name.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:05 pm

joel hamilton wrote:
minorkeylee wrote:What does the little switch do on the RE10? I know its some sort of rolloff, but didn't really get what the manual was saying. And why does it have that 'grill' running down the shaft? I have one of these mics, but have never figured out these two questions....Anyone?
Rolloff and the vents ARE to reduce proximity effect.
They had a name for it... like the "D-grill" or the "D-something...." I forget now.
it was a patented design, of course, with a name.
Variable D. The vents are to create the pickup pattern (cardioid or hypercardioid, depending on the model) with minimum proximity effect.

Dubious
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubious » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:34 am

I love my RE11 (got it with and a 635a for $70) - use it on snare as a nice alternate to a 57. It sounds cool on guitar amps too.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:35 am

I got a couple RE10s for free a while back. I need to spend a little more time with them...