Mistery Tube mic!! Need help to fix

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

soundlaboratory
audio school graduate

Mistery Tube mic!! Need help to fix

Post by soundlaboratory » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:09 pm

I have had this mic for a few years now and i have never been able to find any information on it. as to make, specs etc.. The mic and PSU both read CSD custom sound designs.
the mic sounds just beautiful on most things often beating out a vintage u87 and a u67.

But as of late it has been acting up.

1. About half of the time when i power up the mic in cardioid setting. The BACK capsule becomes the cardioid one meaning the mic is 180 degrees flipped it sounds fine but i have to turn the mic around

2. when set to omni it goes silent no buzzes no anything just silent

3. when set to fig8 it acts just the same as #1 no difference

The mic i believe is worth me fixing but i have no idea where to send it, it has a 6201 tube in it and that's how i got it, it uses a 7 pin xlr between mic and psu.

some pics attached
Anyone recognize either this mic or the symptoms im having?
im leaning towards a bad switch its a 9 position

ImageImage

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:34 pm

don't know anything about the mic, but have you tried spraying some cleaner (deoxit or other) on the switch? or if the switch is on the PSU, maybe the cable is faulty? you should be able to test that with an ohmeter.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

soundlaboratory
audio school graduate

Post by soundlaboratory » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:37 am

The switch is indeed in the PSU and seems to be all sealed up and no access to the contact points, And yes i've tried 2 different cables same results.

infiniteposse
alignin' 24-trk

Post by infiniteposse » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:42 pm

I would recommend posting this at the PSW forums, perhaps in Klaus H's sub-forum. Those guys know their mics.

Good luck!
Lee
www.mysterymachinestudio.com
??It doesn't matter if you can play a scale. It doesn't matter if your technique is good. If you have feelings that you want to get out through music, that's what matters.? Neil Young

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:17 pm

Apparently CSD is a sound installation company specializing in churches. They must have gotten some mics rebranded at some point. Their webpage is here. Might be worth contacting them to see if they still have any info.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:10 pm

This sounds to me like one of three things :

1.- Power is not getting to one of the capsules, namely the front capsule. Check those capacitors (the 6 black thingies in the mic) for leakage / bad capacitor. Those tend to fail at around 5 years of age.

2.- A bad connection to the front capsule. check all the wiring to and from the front capsule. measure continuity AND resistance, and make sure ti matches the known working capsule side too.

3.- A bad front capsule. Again, check for continuity, a bad capsule membrane / damage to the capsule, etc...

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

rodabod
takin' a dinner break

Post by rodabod » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:53 pm

Check the polarisation voltage feeding the front diaphragm. You may need to check back to the PSU where it is derived (IIRC) Circuit is probably a Nady 1050 or something similar. Schematics are around.
Roddy Bell
BBC / Siemens

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:57 pm

noeqplease wrote:This sounds to me like one of three things :

1.- Power is not getting to one of the capsules, namely the front capsule. Check those capacitors (the 6 black thingies in the mic) for leakage / bad capacitor. Those tend to fail at around 5 years of age.

2.- A bad connection to the front capsule. check all the wiring to and from the front capsule. measure continuity AND resistance, and make sure ti matches the known working capsule side too.

3.- A bad front capsule. Again, check for continuity, a bad capsule membrane / damage to the capsule, etc...

Cheers
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*