12x16 room with high ceilings?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

blackmajik2021
audio school graduate

12x16 room with high ceilings?

Post by blackmajik2021 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:59 pm

12x 16 This is the minimum size room Im going to settle for when I move to my new place...hopefully looking for something like 14x18+...but Im in an expensive area and its tough to find things...anyway...do you think I can get some good sounds out of this room...there will be a little bit of treatment. (mostly acoustic stuff, guitar,drums,woodwinds,accordian,vocals etc)...I feel like the high ceilings will help with the fact its a small space but im wondering how much....for example...if it would be better to have a 12x16 space with high ceilings versus 15x20 with normal ceilings.

sorry about so many topics.

thanks.

(is currently reading) http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html multiple times over

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:07 pm

A space that size should definitely be usable with treatment. All rooms need treatment to sound their best. If you are looking at different places, my advice is to stay away from cubic rooms (or rooms where 2 dimensions are the same), but overall I'd pay attention to other factors like neighbors, workflow, etc.

Obviously go listen to each room and see if one obviously sounds better or worse.

In general, higher ceilings are better, but if the room is 12x16 make sure the ceilings aren't also 12'.

blackmajik2021
audio school graduate

Post by blackmajik2021 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:29 pm

yeah I've read about the cube/square room problem, my main concern was mostly about having a bigger room with low ceilings vs a smaller room with high ceilings with roughly around the same measure of cubic feet. Im guessing that the sound would be similar in quality but the way in which the room would need to be treated might be slightly different.

and yes, I think im going to treat the whole ceiling with 703 and and then place 703 to kill side reflections, keeping the floor (wood) bare for now...and add treatment if i come around to more cash. bass traps with 705 etc

thanks for the response

-ian

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:12 am

I'm doing drums in a room that's comparable in size (11x18, high ceilings) and it's working nicely. I've done full live tracking in smaller spaces that came out great as well, but the difference made by hauling in a trailer full of bass traps was what took it from weird laser beam flutter nightmare to good sound.

I think I like smaller room/high ceiling than lots of floorspace/low ceiling. It's way easier to naturally and functionally deal with the trouble spots of the former than the latter.