Pressing Vinyl from audio cd

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

burn
pushin' record

Pressing Vinyl from audio cd

Post by burn » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:26 pm

I'm wondering if there's a difference in sound between a vinyl pressed from a audio cd and the original cd?

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:35 pm

I'm sure there's a difference, I doubt it will be better. I was just looking into pressing vinyl for the first time, and I noticed at one place they charge more for working from digital files as opposed to a CDR or DAT tape. I'm assuming if I send 96khZ/24bit files I should get better results than if I send a 44.1kHz CD, right?

burn
pushin' record

Post by burn » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:51 pm

darjama wrote:I'm sure there's a difference, I doubt it will be better. I was just looking into pressing vinyl for the first time, and I noticed at one place they charge more for working from digital files as opposed to a CDR or DAT tape. I'm assuming if I send 96khZ/24bit files I should get better results than if I send a 44.1kHz CD, right?
yes 96k 24bits files will be better than an audio cd for the pressing, for the extra charge I assume you talk about UR Pressing? that's where I'll do a vinyl pressing soon.

What I'm really wondering is how the 44,1 sampling rate will translate into an analog sound wave (vinyl)
Last edited by burn on Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:22 pm

darjama wrote:I'm assuming if I send 96khZ/24bit files I should get better results than if I send a 44.1kHz CD, right?
Hell yes, especially if that CD has been mastered.

Vinyl and CD are two very different formats which require very different methods of mastering. Pressing a vinyl LP from an already mastered, dithered and downsampled CD would be pretty fruitless, at least as far as audio is concerned.

I'd be really interested in seeing an article regarding how to best prep mixes for pressing vinyl.

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:02 pm

the cd & vinyl will definitely sound different. there's a balancing act the vinyl ME will make between length of sides, level and distortion - they're all sort of interrelated - as well as any sort of discretionary processing like de-essing or broad EQ shifts to make your material work best with the medium. the exact same song on the front of the album will sound different than that same song on the inside of the album - it's the nature of the beast.

fwiw i had a good experience w/paul gold cutting laquers for me, then sent to archer for pressing. actually, i got an email that they shipped today, yay. cd master and vinyl premaster was with saff.

ndecarmine
audio school graduate

Post by ndecarmine » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:11 am

were the original mixes done with vinyl in mind, or just mixed/mastered for cd? if it's the latter, i would suggest you have a discussion with an engineer who has experience in mastering for vinyl [audio mastering, not cutting the physical lacquer masters] and look into potential issues with your mixes that may arise when pressing vinyl.
there is a difference between how you mix for vinyl as opposed to mixing for cd/digital release only. i know this because my band did a record last year with the intention of releasing vinyl, and we did a lot of reading on the subject regarding everything from what sample rate to record at [they suggested 192kHz] to how to treat things like bass, sibilance, and overall dynamic range in the mixing stage, for example. also as people have mentioned, the length of each side is a decision you will have to give some thought to. and further, certain material is just not going to sound good on the inner grooves of a record.
the guy we used to do our audio mastering was carl saff, in chicago. i would recommend him highly if you decide to go back and revisit the mixes/mastering process of your project before pressing vinyl.

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Wed May 06, 2009 11:13 am

ndecarmine wrote:the guy we used to do our audio mastering was carl saff, in chicago. i would recommend him highly if you decide to go back and revisit the mixes/mastering process of your project before pressing vinyl.
agreed. carl did our CD/LP premaster that paul cut the laquers off of. carl has exceptional customer service/communication skills - i find that rare in the whole record making process.