m5oo needs another color in a condenser..any suggestions?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

brownplus
studio intern

m5oo needs another color in a condenser..any suggestions?

Post by brownplus » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:17 am

happy with my m500 beyer for vox but would like another color for cheap

reviews just keep me in a circle and i don't have anywhere to test these locally. my voice is med-high gravelly maybe isaac brock?
would one of these better suit me (opinion welcomed), i only know i generally have not liked the majority of mxl's or low end a-t's i have tried with their high-end sheen?

thinking adk hamburg/vienna, oktava mk319, studio projects B1 or maybe Cad 179? trions? apex tube? thanks.
i can't look back at all the stuff i sold...its like looking back at worldcom stock sold the day after

small amps. big strings and single coils

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:54 pm

EDIT: duh...it's a ribbon. Never you mind this

What are you using for a preamp or compressor? Sometimes that variable can really color your vox with the same mic.
Last edited by ott0bot on Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:43 pm

The M500 is a hyper-cardiod ribbon. I would check out the Chameleon Labs TS-2, or perhaps an AT 4047...
Everything louder than everything else.

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:07 pm

high quality dynamic. beyer m88, re-20, sm7 or even senn 421.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:13 pm

xonlocust wrote:high quality dynamic. beyer m88, re-20, sm7 or even senn 421.
thats a good suggestion. the engineer who did one of the bill callahan albums said he used a shure sm7. sounds great on a number of things too, as do the previously listed dynamics.

brownplus
studio intern

Post by brownplus » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:22 pm

good question...my preamps are low end but usable...7th circle t15's (2 for the drums) and a focusrite trakmaster. I also use a beyer opus69 for vox and other duties...have lots of dynamics but only mca sp1's pair for drums and don't care tooo much for them on my voice.

maybe just getting too wrapped up in condenser-ness and want something i don't need? but have really liked my voice on a charter oak....which is something i could not buy .... could i?...no! my car cost 1100 bucks!
i can't look back at all the stuff i sold...its like looking back at worldcom stock sold the day after

brownplus
studio intern

Post by brownplus » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:28 pm

and oh yeah.....have tried most mxl's except the v69me (intriguing) all of which I only liked the 4000....but feel i could do better. rodes and others in the under $200 ebay range but i know i like'm dark....thats why I was thinking hamburg ..
.. but now im thinking screw it, the beyers are good and would prob. be great with a higher 7th circle pre in the box? eh? eh? just worried abut the m500 lifespan, mine is good but have seen so many people with dead beyer ribbons online...

yup, i think you made me look at my crap with more focus...THANKS!

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:38 pm

If you're looking for a dynamic to compliment the M500 than check out the Sennheiser MD441... that's my secret weapon combo for a number of things... both mics are extremely directional and controlled. And the 441 has a better top end than most cheap condensers and takes EQ as well or better than the M500.
Everything louder than everything else.