PM100 Output transformer?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Spdrman288
audio school graduate

PM100 Output transformer?

Post by Spdrman288 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:11 pm

So here is my question. I have 2 pm1k modules recapped, changed the EQ points, and added the bypass caps to. I've tested them using a Cinemag CMOB-2S. I'm thinking about using the Carnhill VTB-1148 for the output transformer. I haven't wired up a output transformer with 8 pins in quiet awhile and I'm wondering how to terminate it. Here is a picture of the windings. check me on this wiring.

For the Carnhill VTB1148: http://www.audiomaintenance.com/downloa ... _guide.pdf
output at C37 to pin 1 (on xfr)
Ground goes to pin 2 (on xfr)
XLR pin 2 goes to pin 5 (on xfr)
XLR pin 3 goes to pin 6 (on xfr)
XLR pin 1 goes to ground

Is this right? What do I have to do with the other pins that aren't used?

When I'm done with this it should be a 8 channel PM1k in a 4u rack case with and external power supply. I'm going to flip the cards vertical to fit them all. Thanks for all the help.
Brad

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:53 pm

that link's opaque. nothing on the side tells me what the coil winding ratio count is, and the suggested usage.

if i was to guess -

pins 2,4 and 6,7 should be tied together, and

unbal input from board - 1
ground from board - 3
XLR 2 - 5
XLR 3 - 8

but having a balanced transformer line input does most of the work, as the CMRR is amazingly high enough without having to isolate both ends. the jensen tech paper on balancing audio (seach for a past post on hooking up line transformers) had me balance all inputs, but not fret so much on outputs -
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

Spdrman288
audio school graduate

Post by Spdrman288 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:45 am

The ratio on the transformer is 1:1.
It is used to balance the output for the module. Because in this console the output transformers are only in the master buss.

rodabod
takin' a dinner break

Post by rodabod » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:01 am

I think it's more like 1:1.5 actually.

Ypu can probably skip your output coupling cap from the PM1000 if it has one since the Neve transformer is gapped to handle DC. Terminate the secondary with a 10nF polystyrene in series with 1K5 to tame slight ringing.

The EZ1290 guide shows a simple wiring guide if you search via Google.

Roddy
Roddy Bell
BBC / Siemens

mixedupsteve
pushin' record

Re: PM100 Output transformer?

Post by mixedupsteve » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:30 pm

Spdrman288 wrote:So here is my question. I have 2 pm1k modules recapped, changed the EQ points, and added the bypass caps to. I've tested them using a Cinemag CMOB-2S. I'm thinking about using the Carnhill VTB-1148 for the output transformer. I haven't wired up a output transformer with 8 pins in quiet awhile and I'm wondering how to terminate it. Here is a picture of the windings. check me on this wiring.

For the Carnhill VTB1148: http://www.audiomaintenance.com/downloa ... _guide.pdf
output at C37 to pin 1 (on xfr)
Ground goes to pin 2 (on xfr)
XLR pin 2 goes to pin 5 (on xfr)
XLR pin 3 goes to pin 6 (on xfr)
XLR pin 1 goes to ground

Is this right? What do I have to do with the other pins that aren't used?

When I'm done with this it should be a 8 channel PM1k in a 4u rack case with and external power supply. I'm going to flip the cards vertical to fit them all. Thanks for all the help.
Brad
Original is 600:600 and I would call carnhill and see how to wire it up. My guess is themagicmanmdt is right.
If it were me I'd buy this one:
http://cinemag.biz/output/CMOB-1.pdf

Edit, I bought some Tamuras from a guy and if you want I'll see if he still has the outputs.

Spdrman288
audio school graduate

PM1000 Output transformer

Post by Spdrman288 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:05 pm

I have a bunch of the tamura output transformer, But I wanted to put a different flavor on the modules that people haven't done before. I've read/talked to the guy at "Old World Audio" and he uses the carnhill transformers for the input and output transformer.