Paypal not my pal.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Paypal not my pal.

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat May 02, 2009 8:27 pm

I am just wrapping up a several month long ordeal of identity theft. My bank was very reasonable about this. Paypal not so much.
I have been around the bend with them. Spent hours on the phone etc.
Long story short, I am closing my paypal account, 9 years of customer history be damned.
What do you folks use for an alternative to paypal? And in that same vein, also as an alternative to ebay? They are the same guys as paypal, so I am probably ditching that mess too.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Sat May 02, 2009 10:46 pm

I hear ya, I've been down that road and it can be very frustrating.

Pay pal, when their good, can be very good, but when their bad, they can pretty much suck a$$.

I do a lot of work internationally and there is no other company who does what they do on their level - good or bad - it's called a monopoly.

Cheers,

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun May 03, 2009 12:41 am

this is the week of monopoly gang rape on me. AT&T, UPS, Paypal, Wells Fargo.
I think I am gonna stick to cash, pawnshops, USPS and land lines.

johnnydove
pushin' record

Post by johnnydove » Sun May 03, 2009 7:31 pm

i don't know about USPS anymore, i keep not getting things delivered to me of course without a notice that it was there, even though i've been at the apartment waiting pretty much by the door when i know they're coming around. yesterday was the third time in the last month. the best part is it says on whatever package i happen to finally go pick up that a notice was indeed left. actually, last time i went to pick something up i just gave them the tracking number and they went and got it and gave it to me, didn't even check my driver's license like they usually do. so i personally don't trust them so much anymore.
-johnny

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun May 03, 2009 7:38 pm

meh.
I guess this is the begining of the unraveling society?

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun May 03, 2009 8:58 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:meh.
I guess this is the begining of the unraveling society?
continuation, more like.

i think we've seen the worst of it...it's directly in front of us.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun May 03, 2009 10:16 pm

(deleted)
Last edited by shedshrine on Sun May 03, 2009 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Sun May 03, 2009 11:06 pm

Hey Shedshrine, I want my 7 minutes, 31 seconds back.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun May 03, 2009 11:09 pm

Gentleman Jim wrote:Hey Shedshrine, I want my 7 minutes, 31 seconds back.
I'll take it down, it isn't really helpful or music related useful and I apologize. Back to Paypal and identity theft...
M

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon May 04, 2009 12:27 am

Que Paso?

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon May 04, 2009 8:53 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:Que Paso?
con queso.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon May 04, 2009 10:03 am

I haven't used Paypal for years after some bad experiences. The problem I'm having now is that so many people are used to Paypal that some of them won't deal with anything else. I've tried to buy stuff from people that won't accept a US Postal Money Order, even though I'm at much higher risk for not getting my stuff than they are for getting duped.

Fuck Paypal.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

johnnydove
pushin' record

Post by johnnydove » Mon May 04, 2009 11:50 am

so the USPS can officially fuck off. i go into the office to pick up the package that they didn't leave for me on saturday, and now they can't find it anywhere. so i guess they're going to try to find the carrier that was working on saturday and ask if they remember what they did with it and then they're going to call me back. that was about 3 hours ago.
all i wanted to do was mod my damn valve jr head. guess not.

back on topic though, luckily i haven't had any problems with paypal that i can remember. *knocks on wood*
-johnny

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon May 04, 2009 11:54 am

You can use Revolutionary Money Exchange. I've used it a few times without problems....but you have to convince the other person to sign up for it. They used to have a $20 free at sign up and give referral bonuses, not sure it they are doing that now that they are better established.

As far as ebay goes, that can be tricky. Take this as an example. I used to buy and sell alot of vintage video games and everyone complained about ebay. There were two alternatives....game gavel and chase the chuck wagon. The problem...neither site got enough traffic and items sold at 20-30% less than ebay. But people stuck it out because of the low fees and things seemed to have worked. Chase the chuck wagon bought out game gavel and memebership increased big time. Sale prices now are just slightly below ebay, but fees are way less, so it's good for buyers and sellers.

my point....
For this to work for music gear, theres going to be a period where sellers are going to get less than expected and buyers are going to have to slowly catch on to the new site. Plus buyers are going to have to trust the new site will have protection or a way to file a claim for goods not recieved, fraud or damaged items. It could happen...but someone will have to actually put in the time to create the site and run it, plus create a system where buyers and sellers feel secure by using it.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon May 04, 2009 12:01 pm

The USPS lost over $2000 worth of money orders of mine last summer for about three weeks. I got delivery confirmation on them, but apparently all they could do was tell me that they hadn't been delivered. In order to stop payment on them, I would have had to pay them $20 and then wait for 60 days before they could take any action. The guy I was buying the gear from couldn't wait for two months (I don't blame him), but fortunately, the money orders showed up before he totally gave up and in the end, I got my EQ.

I love that lately, UPS has gotten in the habit of getting stuff to Charlotte BEFORE the expected delivery date, but then re-routing it up to Greensboro before bringing it back to my house a day or two later.

So far, Fedex seems to be the only company that can actually deliver shit without breaking it and actually believes that my house is exactly where everyone except DHL thinks it ought to be. If I call them before they make a delivery, they'll hold it at their hub so I can go pick it up, instead of either having to make one delivery attempt first or telling me to call back in the morning, at which point the delivery is already on the truck (DUH--- UPS). I'll happily pay more money to Fedex for this kind of reliable service as opposed to saving a few bucks and dealing with the sort of stupid bullshit that every other delivery company seems to think is acceptable.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC