Contradictory freq response charts on Heil site

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

losthighway
resurrected

Contradictory freq response charts on Heil site

Post by losthighway » Sun May 03, 2009 1:17 pm

My EV RE20 recently took a dump. Unfortunate, because my budget was not aimed at replacing that mic, and I need something of that type to hold down the bass cab duties while the d112 is on a kick, or just as an alternative bass drum, vocal, guitar mic.

I have posted recently about being disappointed in the sound of my Heil PR30 on guitar (thin, and fizzy I believe I said), but I've heard good things about PR40's and I've seen them cheap on Ebay.

I went to investigate on the Heil site and maybe save their frequency responses as a reference. I have been amassing a little folder full of this kind of info to inform my mic purchasing/useage. If you look on the site both the PR30 and 40 show a frequency response that is far from 'ruler flat'. THey both have some fairly serious bumps in the upper-mids and highs (although different ones). The strange thing is if you click the button to download a complete spec sheet you get a TOTALLY different freq response chart on each mic. Both look almost totally flat.

I also scoffed a little when they described the PR30 as having 'ribbon-like' sound. If ribbon mics are known to have little depth, and all the low end sucked out of them, maybe I should take them off my wishlist :wink:

Wainwright
gettin' sounds

My 2c

Post by Wainwright » Sun May 03, 2009 3:59 pm

If you like the RE20 get an RE20. I am not a fan of Heil mics... any of them. Sell the PR30 put the $$$ in to the RE20 ( I know I will catch hell for not being in to Heil but it all just seems like hype to me. Tried the PR20, 30, 40 and not my bag. )
((( Sucking in Stereo )))

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun May 03, 2009 4:23 pm

Totally. My thoughts exactly. I might have a last chance for the PR30 shootout on toms and electric guitar, but almost without fail my EV RE10 has beat it out every time on guitar cabinets.

dkelley
audio school

Post by dkelley » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:13 am

I just want to say here that the heil classic mic (very retro look) with the pr20 element in it is one of my favorite mics for vocals and guitar cabs in studio work. Not THE favorite, but it's sometimes the better choice.

despite all of the foam in the thing you still need a good plosive filter for vocals.

it's vaguely ribbon like I suppose in the same way that a very good condensor is vaguely ribbon like LoL, which to me is kind of not really ribbon like much at all, at least not compared to my ribbons ;-)

But a very good mic all the same and an amazing price I got mine for. I recently tried a pr20 - I'm surprised how much better the classic sounds considering it's the same element.

BUT that's just my opinion, I've heard people love 'em or hate 'em.

about the response charts - sounds like the ones online are pretty detailed and probably updated more recently than those in the pdfs which sound pretty vague. nothing wrong there, you take reference points when making charts, Heil probably updated the online ones (which is WAY easier to do) with more details at some point to help people with their mic purchase decision.

Check out the neumann site if you want very averaged-out vague response plots (but still indicative of the overall tone of each mic, as are the charts on the heil site imho and even on the mxl site).

cheers,
Don
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Don Kelley

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/doubletakerecording">Double Take Recording</a>

"If you think it sounds good like this, just wait until I turn it the right way around..."

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:53 am

The PR40 is one of my favorite mics--see if you can borrow one for a week and try it out on stuff. I did a whole album of vocals with it and now I have it on kick--it's extremely versatile. I never looked at the response charts.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:17 pm

On the one hand, listen with your ears, not your eyes.

On the other hand, I have never heard any evidence to support the rabid support these mics receive on the PSW LAB.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:37 am

I bought an SM7. I might check out the PR40 at some point. I also found my PR30 is a decent tom mic. Not selling it yet.

But back to my original idea, how the hell does a company put two completely difference charts for the same product on their website, when it is supposed to be 'science'. Doesn't look professional whether the mics sound good or not,.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:29 am

inverseroom wrote:The PR40 is one of my favorite mics--see if you can borrow one for a week and try it out on stuff. I did a whole album of vocals with it and now I have it on kick--it's extremely versatile. I never looked at the response charts.
no more V67G love?
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:14 am

RefD wrote:
inverseroom wrote:The PR40 is one of my favorite mics--see if you can borrow one for a week and try it out on stuff. I did a whole album of vocals with it and now I have it on kick--it's extremely versatile. I never looked at the response charts.
no more V67G love?
Yeah, still using that too! My mic locker has been the same for years...M160 on guitar cab...Alice on acoustic...M201 on snare...C1 on toms.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:57 am

inverseroom wrote:
RefD wrote:
no more V67G love?
Yeah, still using that too! My mic locker has been the same for years...M160 on guitar cab...Alice on acoustic...M201 on snare...C1 on toms.
my "mic locker" would fit inside an embossed metal Spiderman lunchbox. :oops:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

capnreverb
takin' a dinner break

Post by capnreverb » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:38 am

Peavey 520i.

I am serious.

Great sleeper mic for the used price.