A/B switch, Y cable, Reverb tank--what's wrong?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Rufer
pushin' record

A/B switch, Y cable, Reverb tank--what's wrong?

Post by Rufer » Wed May 06, 2009 8:24 am

Hi,
Let me preface my post by saying I know a looper pedal would probably do the trick better but I'm hoping to find out why what follows doesn't work.

I want to use an A/B switch (I bought the DOD 270 a/b box) to route either straight to my amp OR to my reverb tank and then to my amp. I had Redco make a Y cable for me.

The configuration that I envisioned would work had the guitar signal going into the Common jack of the A/B switch. A would have 1 leg of the split Y cable. The merged section of the Y cable goes to the amp. B from the A/B switch goes to the In of the reverb tank. The second side of the split Y cable goes from the out of the tank.

Shouldn't this work? It doesn't.

Any way I can get the switch to change from the clean to the wet? Only one side will work when using the Y cable plugged in the configuration I have above. I can unplug the A or B from the A/B switcher and either will work but when both sides are plugged in only one side of the switch works.

The switch is fine. Right now I have my guitar into the common and A feeding one amp with a straight cable and B feed the other amp likewise and the switch works as it should.

Each end of the Y cable work fine on their own.

Any ideas? Is it the type of switch? The Y cable and the switch?

This is probably a dopey question but any help is greatly appreciated.

To add the equivalent picture to my 1,000 words, here is what I have:

Thanks.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed May 06, 2009 8:49 am

by reverb tank do you mean a bare tank or a full-on reverb unit like a Fender?

cos a bare tank at least needs active driver and recovery stages.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Wed May 06, 2009 10:04 am

It's a Fender '63 reissue outboard tank.

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Wed May 06, 2009 12:14 pm

the 63 reissue reverb has a 1/4" jack on the underside of the chassis. This is for a foot switch to switch the reverb in & out of the circuit. the external A/B switch shouldn't be necessary to do what you are wanting to do.
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Wed May 06, 2009 12:26 pm

Thanks. I know about the jack and footswitch. I'm trying to bypass it when not in use.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed May 06, 2009 12:47 pm

Rufer wrote:Thanks. I know about the jack and footswitch. I'm trying to bypass it when not in use.
then get a pedal loop, they're not all that expensive.

i have had that DOD A/B box since the early 90s and it's been a great paperweight.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

RickvH
alignin' 24-trk

Post by RickvH » Wed May 06, 2009 12:58 pm

A Y-cable is intended to act as a splitter (one output to two inputs).
It's not intended to act as a merger/mixer (two outputs to one input).

The output of the reverb tank is likely loading/shorting out the A output of your A/B switch.

One option might be to use the Y-cable to split the guitar signal: one leg to the reverb and the other leg to an input on the A/B switch. The output of the reverb goes into the other input on the A/B switch and the output of the A/B switch goes to the amp. Then the switch will select between the guitar and the reverb tank output. (hopefully the guitar won't mind driving two inputs)

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Wed May 06, 2009 2:21 pm

Ah, that makes perfect sense. Confirms my dopiness too. I may just return the A/B box, chock the Redco Y cable up to a learning lesson and hope I have a need for it someday, and get a pedal loop.

Thanks for your help.