cymbal bashers

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: cymbal bashers

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:23 am

permanent hearing damage wrote:i frequently get these guys in the studio. drummers with huge cymbals - multiple 20", 22" and 24" cymbals all around. i realize this kinda comes with the territory with sludgy hardcore bands sometimes. i frequently tell the drummers to back off the cymbals - being a drummer myself, i can empathize with wanting to bash the hell out of them.

anyway, i normally make do, but i have a band coming in this weekend with not one but two such drummers.

they are a good band and i'm excited to work with them. but everytime i have seen them live, it's just a wash of cymbals.

any ideas? tape can only do so much, no?

i have some ribbon mics i can use for overheads, but they can only help so much and i usually use condensers on the toms. hell, i may not even use the overheads in that case.
If you have not recorded them yet, try the following :

ONE OMNI MIC IN THE ROOM. Chest height, about 4-6 feet away from the drummers, and as close to the center of the room as possible.

Place it far enough away from the drummers so that it does not distort at all.

Then have them play one song all the way through (if they can).

Then have them listen to the results.

Then you have two options :

A.- They love the sound. Continue as usual, even if it goes contrary to whatever recording mantra you believe in.

B. They don't like the sound. THEN, and ONLY THEN, do you start making suggestions as to how to make their playing different FOR THE RECORDING. Now you may coach them in their weak spots. Don't forget to keep it positive, and extol their strong points too.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

W DeMarco
pluggin' in mics

Post by W DeMarco » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:41 pm

There are some trick setups that Ive read here, Familiar issue and to me you might as well tune every string on the guitar randomly and record that. Maybe try to work the guy down to as small set of cymbals as hes willing to go with that sound alright when hit hard. Figure out with him which cymbal sounds awesome in which part. And make it an issue to pump him up to get a killer track, it might take a bunch of runs but he'll probably come up with the solution if you guide him there a bit. If you can playlist him, you'll have some options for edits which could just save the day.

Or just take away his cymbals