A Better Site Than Myspace To Showcase Your Work On

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun May 17, 2009 10:17 am

I'm taking the Model T down to the betamax rental store, and will probably pick up a Pepsi Clear on the way.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Sun May 17, 2009 1:40 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:And here goes Garges with no facts.

"93% of adults listen to the radio daily."

Source: Radio Advertising Weekly

I don't understand you guys. You all seem very 'fringe' to me.
"Radio Advertising Weekly"? Did you just make that up?

Whether or not you did, as another poster pointed out, that would nonetheless be the most ridiculously biased source for "facts".

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sun May 17, 2009 2:47 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:I read a survey conducted by Ronald McDonald and Hamburgler that suggests that 99% of adults prefer a Big Mac to dining at a 4-star restaurant.
ahaha!

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun May 17, 2009 6:22 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:"93% of adults listen to the radio daily."

Source: Radio Advertising Weekly
Count me in as one of the 93%.

I listen to the radio while driving a fossil-fuel-powered vehicle to the museum where I work every morning. In forty years, if not twenty, I predict I won't have much to do with either technology (radio and fossil fuel powered vehicles) as we know it today.

And guess how many albums I've purchased thanks to radio exposure in the last year?

ZERO.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun May 17, 2009 8:10 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:You all seem very 'fringe' to me.
you say this a lot. can you clarify what exactly you mean by fringe? i am genuinely curious.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun May 17, 2009 8:13 pm

lightandmind wrote:Now might be a good time to mention that I have been stalking the TOMB archives in great detail for the past 3 years, & I value Chris's responses & insight more than any other engineer here. Straight-up. Strangely enough, I have yet to read a single post from Chris that I did not completely aligned with. He doesn't know it, but I owe Chris a great deal for all the technical knowledge & wisdom he has shared over the years, which has allowed me to become a significantly better engineer, & I have a time-line of recordings to prove it.
That's EXTREMELY kind of you. Thanks!

Jeff, I was just quoting what YOU said. "SHOULD BE." I'd love to see radio leading the way as a showcase opportunity for bands, but in my experience, it just doesn't.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, tell me how I am missing the boat in terms of how modern radio is really an excellent, easy, inexpensive, and viable way for people to instantly access a band at virtually ANY TIME. THAT'S WHAT MYSPACE IS CAPABLE OF. I'm not saying there's not something better. I'm saying that radio is not it. Please explain to me how I am wrong about that. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm really asking a question.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Last edited by cgarges on Mon May 18, 2009 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

ThePitz
gettin' sounds

Post by ThePitz » Sun May 17, 2009 11:22 pm

Just wanted to note that when you google "Radio Advertising Weekly" the first thing that pops up is this very thread.

Also - yeah - Bandcamp is everything that myspace is not. Myspace totally misused their early popularity, and instead of streamlining and refining their system - they made it more bloated and slow and full of awful advertisements and useless features. And freaking "snocap!" Dear lord what a godawful company that steals from the poor and gives to the rich...

also - I think sites like Pandora and last.fm have potential.

also -

I personally think the idea of 'podcasting' has failed to catch on the way i had hoped it would. If you find a DJ into music you're into - and you can download that every day or every week or whatever and listen to it in your car - at work on headphones - through you're home stereo... That's a great way to hear new music with little to no bias. Even finding podcasters with a hundred or so subscribers and sending them your music and asking them to play it if they like it would be a great way to get your music out to a hundred people.

Keeping in mind that getting your name out to 100 MUSIC FANS is far more valuable than getting your name out to a million commuters that just need background noise so's not to commit vehicular manslaughter on the way to work.

Dear god. This thread has been hijacked beyond repair....

The answer: Bandcamp. Also - check out virb if you crave the social aspect of myspace. Also - facebook. In my opinion a facebook spot that points people to your bandcamp site and informs them of shows and new songs and album releases is the way to do it. That's how almost all of the bands that I go see regularly do it down here - and I buy their albums AND their shirts.

-pitz
tra la la

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Sun May 17, 2009 11:43 pm

FUCK RADIO

>the fringe<

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Sun May 17, 2009 11:53 pm

Not to lend any credence to Jeff's argument, but there is a radio station in my local market that is highlighting local/regional talent in our area (and I'm talking between 10am and 6pm) that is causing the CD's to fly off the shelf relatively speaking (to all the other CD's we sell, which is quickly becoming not many).

That said, bandcamp blows everything else away so far. No BS. signed up in under 2 minutes. Great quality. No ads. Money straight to my paypal account. Great tracking of plays/embedding to other sites.

I dont care if Jeff Goldblum or The Big Lebowski are your friends on myspace. I just want to hear your music with no bullshit if I am seeking you out.

If they added a blog and tour dates section I would abandon myspace instantly...
Slider wrote:"we figured you'd want to use your drum samples and reamp through your amps anyway, so we didn't bother taking much time to get sounds".

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon May 18, 2009 7:16 am

ThePitz wrote:Just wanted to note that when you google "Radio Advertising Weekly" the first thing that pops up is this very thread.
ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

wait, wait...
leigh wrote:"Radio Advertising Weekly"? Did you just make that up?
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Mon May 18, 2009 12:50 pm

wedge wrote:FUCK RADIO

>the fringe<
what he said.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon May 18, 2009 5:36 pm

Getting to use Bandcamp tonight. I just remastered some mixes from 2005 for a band that I recorded back then. They set up their page, I'm uploading stuff. Totally simple.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

beefy
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by beefy » Tue May 19, 2009 6:39 am

How easy is it for people to download your music off of bandcamp?

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Tue May 19, 2009 6:46 am

Getting back on topic, I did notice someone who I'm working with at the moment has posted up some things on Facebook using some kind of embedded player that is of quite decent quality...perhaps it's even the "full resolution" 320kbps mp3 file. The way it was posted has the link to the actual file published with a player just below it that has the file all loaded up so that ther is no wait time. Seemed quite slick. I need to check into that a little more.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Tue May 19, 2009 8:26 am

@?,*???&? wrote:Check out your local radio. It sounds fantastic.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

"Learn 12 songs then get back to me... shit dude, that's brilliant! At $35 a pop, that's $420! FOUR TWENTY DUDE!"
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson