50k fantasy studio

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:37 am

Danly wrote:The more time you spend learning how to make your recordings awesome, the less time you are spending practicing instruments. The studio is an instrument too, however.
....[S]eriously consider just having a medium nice practice space, buy some gear you are lusting after, and go to the studio to do your music.
+1 there. Evaluate what you really want. Then, once you're sure, re-evaluate. It doesn't seem like there's anything forcing you to rush any of the particulars of this situation. Time spent setting up shop can be valuable time wasted--time where you could be promoting your band, getting gigs, recording music you've already written in someone else's space... all of which might produce better results than your own studio would. OTOH, time spent setting up your own studio now might save you a lot of headache later. It's a really good idea to have a really clear vision of where you are going as an artist/musician before setting off on an ambitious undertaking.

If I had it to do over again, I definitely would not have followed the nickel-and-dime route... although if I hadn't followed the nickel-and-dime route, I wouldn't know that. Early on someone gave me about 30 seconds to decide whether I wanted a bunch of free gear or a bunch of recording time (it was only worth a couple hundred bucks, but that was a small fortune to me at the time). I went with the gear. I'm not sure I'm sorry I did. But looking back I can see that this one decision made all the difference in the world to the way I wound up doing music. By focussing on my own development as a gear-geek I limited my options as a musician in ways I could not understand at the time. A half-decent demo would have changed the way I saw myself, my goals, and how others perceived me as an artist. The DIY thing may suit me better in the long run, but I'll never know, all because of that one 30 second decision.

How's the process been going?
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by aitikin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:55 pm

jaguarsg wrote:
mikeyc wrote:--250 SM 57s

--1 DeLorean

That should do it.
still need some money to get the plutonium from the libyans for the flux capacitor ...
Yeah, but then you can jump back in time and pick up all the u47s, Neve boards, and other outboard gear you want for dirt cheap, and maybe place a few bets on some sporting events while you're at it...

:roll:

We can dream, right?
"It's not a recording studio without a lava lamp"
~Mark Rubel

"Don't meddle in the affairs of a patent dragon, for thou art tasty and good with ketchup." ~ohcrapitssteve

Deisthomas
audio school

Re: 50k fantasy studio

Post by Deisthomas » Mon May 28, 2018 9:41 am

I have an Oram BEQ series eight board as well! Does anyone happen to have the service schematic for it? or manual? or any documentation? I'm going to have someone work on it, and he's requesting. Thanks so much!