The lure of 2-buss compression

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri May 15, 2009 5:29 pm

Great stuff, guys.

Unfortunately, (and don't tell my clients and collab'rs), I'm broke, cheap, and an amateur.

I'm not in PT, (I use CEP Pro 2.1 :lol: ) can't really afford massey and chandler stuff, and certainly not good outboard.

Yet.

Just wondering if anyone is using any "magic" (no such thing, but next best?) compressor and/or chain to mix into.

By what I mean, I got my ways, like what I get done (see the link below), but wondering if there was another approach I could afford to try ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Fri May 15, 2009 5:57 pm

ott0bot wrote:Unfortunately I'm running an LE system so you can't use a bus without latency while tracking, let alone plug-ins. If I had the hardware....there'd still be latency with the da then ad conversion right? so not really an option unless you have an HD system...or maybe a UAD card?
If you're running the whole 2-buss through outboard, who cares about latency? Yes, the signal is delayed while running out and back through a hardware insert... but as long as you're not expecting that to sync up with some strictly ITB elements, there's no issue as far as I can see. ?

Leigh

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri May 15, 2009 6:49 pm

The massey compressor is like 65 dollars.
It is absolutely, without a doubt, my #1 favorite plug in compressor for general use.
Considering i have a ton of outboard stuff, and I STILL throw a massey CT4 on the main vocal chain ITB before it comes screeching out in to a hardware chain, says something.

I know the chandler is expensive, but the massey is not.

Worth it.

Nobody ever said this whole craft was going to be cheap, simple, easy, or profitable.....

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri May 15, 2009 7:06 pm

joel hamilton wrote:The massey compressor is like 65 dollars.
It is absolutely, without a doubt, my #1 favorite plug in compressor for general use.
Considering i have a ton of outboard stuff, and I STILL throw a massey CT4 on the main vocal chain ITB before it comes screeching out in to a hardware chain, says something.
$65 for the plug, but I'm not Pro Tools ... :(

As for, "Nobody ever said this whole craft was going to be cheap, simple, easy, or profitable.....", yep.

But I do so love it!

(Just askin' re VST or DX that peoples use; mebbe I shoulda been more DAW-specific in my question; I'm CEP2.1.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Fri May 15, 2009 7:21 pm

Always mix with a 2-buss compressor. And I usually get it going right after I've got the rhythm section figured out. I bring in the 2-buss comp and adjust to taste then move on. I'll often tweak the buss comp as I go too but it rarely changes that much. The compressor is usually set at 2:1 and is only compressing 1-2 dB and it's almost always set with a slow attack and fast release. That's just how I've grown to like it. Works for me.

shawn

And to add to what Joel was saying, Massey plugins rule. Like really fucking rule.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat May 16, 2009 7:41 am

vvv wrote:

As for, "Nobody ever said this whole craft was going to be cheap, simple, easy, or profitable.....", yep.

But I do so love it!

(Just askin' re VST or DX that peoples use; mebbe I shoulda been more DAW-specific in my question; I'm CEP2.1.)
I forgot that the massey stuff is protools specific.

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Sat May 16, 2009 9:13 am

vvv wrote:

But I do so love it!

There's a VST called "The Glue" made by Cytomic that's supposed to be quite good. It's $99 and there's a downloadable demo.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sat May 16, 2009 9:51 am

Check out the Stillwell stuff. It's VST and sounds fantastic. Haven't used it on the 2-bus yet (I've been using the Nomad Factory Leveling Amplifier from time to time), but I know that you will find a use for their stuff. Demos are free to try with nag screens, and you can pay when you can afford it.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Sat May 16, 2009 10:17 am

+1 on the stillwell stuff - VERY NICE plugs. the rocket and event horizon are pretty cool.

i also really like the psp vintage warmer. a lot.

the waves API 2500 and SSL comps are pretty decent ITB too but obviously way more $$.
the new rules : there are no rules

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat May 16, 2009 12:02 pm

vvv wrote:For us bedio guys who are in ITB, does anyone mix into a software compressor, and what do you think you get good results with?

FWIW, I do not.

I guess I fall into that category. I always mix with a little VST Dynamics plugin across my stereo buss in Cubase. I set the compressor to 1.5:1 and the limiter to -0.5db I set the threshold until it's taking off 3db or so on the loudest parts and then I set the make up gain so that the little limiter light flickers once in a while. My stuff never goes to mastering, so I consider that my mastering phase. I will usually audition the mix without the comp and try a few different settings near the end of the mix, but that's usually around where I wind up.

Recently I discovered longer attack times and it's really helping the sound. Transients are good. I've also been edging my tracking levels down towards that -12db range (man, old habits (from the 16bit days) die hard.) So I think all that stuff is coming together to give me both perceptually louder mixes that are also more dynamic at the same time. Good stuff. I recently modded the mic pres I use most with much faster opamps. I think this is going to require a rethinking of a lot of stuff. I'm getting weird clipping now on tracks that I've never seen before, also more treble, etc. I think it's all good, but it might require a different approach to compression in the end because "headroom" has taken on a whole new meaning for me across the board.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

jimbob
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jimbob » Sat May 16, 2009 1:06 pm

Stillwell's The Rocket is the best ITB 2-bus comp I have ever tried (and I own almost all the UAD plugs and some other good VST comps). I also love it on individual drums, but thanks to the mix knob (wet/dry ratio) it makes one hell of a 2-bus compressor.

Jon~T
gettin' sounds

Post by Jon~T » Sat May 16, 2009 7:19 pm

+1 on the Rocket, and The Glue.

My mixes take at least an hour less time when I start with mix bus compression.
It's very different starting the mix with it on than putting it on at the end.

I don't use any make up gain and always have Massey L2007 after.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat May 16, 2009 8:14 pm

Worth it.

Nobody ever said this whole craft was going to be cheap, simple, easy, or profitable.....
Are you talking stereo compressor? NOT- REAL- COOL. Average to semi-average at best. No personality. Nearly invisible. If anything, too upright without any personality. I'd avoid this. It's a weak version of the L1-style.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sat May 16, 2009 10:01 pm

And there you have it, proof that it is impossible to get gear advice on the internet.

You have to try it for yourself. The only test is how disappointed, if at all, you are with your work when you listen to it later.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun May 17, 2009 6:01 am

@?,*???&? wrote:

Worth it.

Are you talking stereo compressor? NOT- REAL- COOL. Average to semi-average at best. No personality. Nearly invisible. If anything, too upright without any personality. I'd avoid this. It's a weak version of the L1-style.
I am talking about the CT4 which is not the limiter thingy, it is the compressor thingy.