Why do we record in stereo?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sun May 17, 2009 2:55 pm

To answer the original question:

So you can hear the hi tom and floor tom in different speakers when the drummer does a drum roll. DUH

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri May 22, 2009 9:57 am

to simplify what many have said:

stereo is (or can be, rather) virtual reality.

TSTW
audio school

Post by TSTW » Sun May 24, 2009 12:45 pm

superaction80 wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:Before you set about making a recording, do any of you actually think about what you are doing?

I mean, do you set about to capture a specific image? Or does shit just sort of happen?
Here's my process:
1. Always use the most expensive pieces, because they're always better.
2. Always record as close to 0dbfs as possible, because I'm using digital and recording hot is the only way to use all the 0's and 1's.
3. Always run 3-5 "practice takes" before hitting record.
4. Always track without compression or eq on the way in, so I can have lots of options later.
5. Always make sure I've ingested the same amount of drugs and/or alcohol as the artist so that we have the same "vibe".
6. Always use condensers and ribbons instead of dynamics, because dynamics are only good for live sound reinforcement.
7. Always monitor as loud as possible (often at or near 120db), so that I can feel the rock when I listen to playback.
8. Always record everything in stereo.
9. Always track and mix with my lucky sombrero, because things don't sound right without it.
10. Two words: Hot Pockets.
11. Always keep a tub with 6" of lukewarm water under the desk so that I can soak my feet while I work. This is essential for the "superaction80" sound.

Apologies to anyone who isn't doing any of these. I'm not saying that you're wrong. This is just what works for me.
Always?

As for the original post. When you ask why do we record in stereo, as opposed to mix in stereo, I think are two different things.

I don't often record in stereo. I do use stereo when mixing with my mono parts.
"People sometimes ask me if I'm happy and I tell them to fuck off" - Thom Yorke

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sun May 24, 2009 1:37 pm

TSTW wrote:
superaction80 wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:Before you set about making a recording, do any of you actually think about what you are doing?

I mean, do you set about to capture a specific image? Or does shit just sort of happen?
Here's my process:
1. Always use the most expensive pieces, because they're always better.
2. Always record as close to 0dbfs as possible, because I'm using digital and recording hot is the only way to use all the 0's and 1's.
3. Always run 3-5 "practice takes" before hitting record.
4. Always track without compression or eq on the way in, so I can have lots of options later.
5. Always make sure I've ingested the same amount of drugs and/or alcohol as the artist so that we have the same "vibe".
6. Always use condensers and ribbons instead of dynamics, because dynamics are only good for live sound reinforcement.
7. Always monitor as loud as possible (often at or near 120db), so that I can feel the rock when I listen to playback.
8. Always record everything in stereo.
9. Always track and mix with my lucky sombrero, because things don't sound right without it.
10. Two words: Hot Pockets.
11. Always keep a tub with 6" of lukewarm water under the desk so that I can soak my feet while I work. This is essential for the "superaction80" sound.

Apologies to anyone who isn't doing any of these. I'm not saying that you're wrong. This is just what works for me.
Always?

As for the original post. When you ask why do we record in stereo, as opposed to mix in stereo, I think are two different things.

I don't often record in stereo. I do use stereo when mixing with my mono parts.
Always be oblivious to sarcasm.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Mon May 25, 2009 6:48 pm

@?,*???&? wrote: Does anyone try to capture a stereo image of the band in the room?
I know "it depends" is a cop-out but... it depends. There is a record I am working on right now where the band has a very simple guitar/bass/drums/vocals arrangement and really lends itself to a more "documentary" approach to recording. sound in the room versus the created sound of heavy overdubs, etc... we are doing some overdubs on guitars, mostly because they don't have the budget to spend months of time tracking, so we're aiming for a solid drum take on initial tracking rather than a solid take on everyone all at once... but in the interest of preserving a more true sound/stereo image we've been pretty careful about keeping the room mics in the same spot when we track drums and when we overdub and working to create a relatively realistic stereo image... so sometimes, yes.

p.s. it would be nice if on the occasions that @?,*???&? does pose an interesting question about the philosophy of recording that we could make it maybe 2 pages before everyone jumps down his throat for all his past transgressions.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon May 25, 2009 11:05 pm

@?,*???&? wrote: Does anyone try to capture a stereo image of the band in the room?
I don't try to capture a stereo image of the entire band, but I do try to create one.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.