Need help from my vinyl loving compatriots

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pedrohead
steve albini likes it

Need help from my vinyl loving compatriots

Post by pedrohead » Mon May 18, 2009 7:17 am

I've been trying to get my vinly playback running up to snuff at home. I've got a good stereo system that sounds great with the normal home theater fare, but am struggling a bit with the vinyl.

I've got a decent 70's Technics belt driven SL-220 (that used to belong to my dad) with an older AT stylus on it. Naturally, my newer Panasonic receiver doesn't have a phono preamp, so I have a cheapo RCA external phono preamp.

I don't notice as much listening to old Zepplin or Neil Young records (just because they weren't quite as clean/hi-fi of recordings originally), but had my 180gram copy of In Rainbows on yesterday and noticed how it just lacks clarity and has a audible distortion that creeps in during playback that you really hear on vocals and other "clean" elements (not "dirty/dusty/crackling vinyl distortion", but muddy/gritty/brittle "I shouldn't be experiencing this because I'm listening to vinly and not a 10 year old cassette" distortion). It's especially noticable on newer vinyl (that's in great shape), and really disuades me from kicking on the turntable in the first place over just plugging in an iPod...

Does this sound like some kind of issue with the stylus, maybe the preamp neeed an upgrade? Is this a turntable that's worth putting much attention into in the first place, would I be better off trying to pick up a newer model for good at-home vinyl appreciation?

Any help would be great, really hoping to get this stuff in order and experience what I should be benefiting from with vinyl. Thanks.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon May 18, 2009 9:27 am

You already answered your questions: get a new stylus/cartridge, maybe upgrade your preamp to something decent... maybe Radial's phono preamp? Some of the Soundcraft mini mixers have a phone preamp built in.

And of course, you can always get a good DJ mixer to do it too, plus learn how to scratch!

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon May 18, 2009 9:29 am

A great vinyl resource: based in Minneapolis, across the street from where Bob Dylan got his coffeehouse start.

http://www.needledoctor.com/

pedrohead
steve albini likes it

Post by pedrohead » Mon May 18, 2009 11:58 am

Thanks for the replies.

It's looking like I might as well make the jump and just get a new system vs. paying probably just as much to upgrade/fix this one.

So for the (strict) budget minded audiophile wannabe, it looks like the Rega P1 or Pro-Ject Debut III may be the place to start, and just pick up a decent phono pre.

Any thoughts on which of those would be a better system, and what's a good phono pre to pair with? I'm really not trying to take the audiophile world by storm here, just get a decent enough setup to run at home and appreciate vinyl and hopefully get out under ~$500.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

...and a lot of the good advice I've been given about bias, effective length, geometry, tracking force, are new things to me. Is there a good "phono 101" resource that I can look at to get me introduced to those things and how to make those adjustments?

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Mon May 18, 2009 4:48 pm

Cartridge alignment and stylus pressure being properly setup is also critical to getting the most out of your system. Before spending a bunch of money you should either get the alignment tool that goes with your specific cartridge or use a generic cartridge alignment protractor - a bunch which can be download from http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-al ... tors.shtml

You should also check out the tracking force that is being put onto your stylus and adjust it to what is suggested for your cartridge -
The Shure SFG-2 Stylus Tracking Force Gauge is a good inexpensive meter for this.

A decent article on the basics of cartridge alignment is at http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm - and there's plenty more info on the net if you a google on the topic.

As far as phono pre's - got to say I've been really happy with the Simaudio Moon LP5.3 - as it has balanced connections so it can interface directly with my studio's monitor controller, and is amazingly clean (it might be a good bit more cash than you want to put into this though) - http://www.simaudio.com/moonlp53.htm

Best regards,
Steve Berson

adadan
studio intern

Post by adadan » Mon May 18, 2009 5:16 pm

I second the suggestion to set up the turntable you have properly. Buy a Grado Black cartridge (~$40, best bang for your buck out there, available on Amazon and lots of other places), and as a minimum set up your tracking weight with the Shure stylus pressure gauge (~$20).

Then get a better phono preamp, even if you just hunt for a cheap used/vintage preamp on ebay or craigslis that has phono inputs.

The belt drive Technics are not half bad, it you just want to enjoy your vinyl with a reliable TT and you aren't a super picky audiophile.
"There are no prima donnas in engineering."
(Freeman Dyson)

jmpace
takin' a dinner break

Post by jmpace » Mon May 18, 2009 10:41 pm

Start with the stylus, if that doesn't fix the problem then at least you have a new stylus you can use later down the line if you end up replacing the table. That is of course, if the stylus type is the same.
I'm bringin' lumberjack back!

pedrohead
steve albini likes it

Post by pedrohead » Tue May 19, 2009 5:54 am

Cellotron wrote:Cartridge alignment and stylus pressure being properly setup is also critical to getting the most out of your system. Before spending a bunch of money you should either get the alignment tool that goes with your specific cartridge or use a generic cartridge alignment protractor - a bunch which can be download from http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-al ... tors.shtml

You should also check out the tracking force that is being put onto your stylus and adjust it to what is suggested for your cartridge -
The Shure SFG-2 Stylus Tracking Force Gauge is a good inexpensive meter for this.

A decent article on the basics of cartridge alignment is at http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm - and there's plenty more info on the net if you a google on the topic.

As far as phono pre's - got to say I've been really happy with the Simaudio Moon LP5.3 - as it has balanced connections so it can interface directly with my studio's monitor controller, and is amazingly clean (it might be a good bit more cash than you want to put into this though) - http://www.simaudio.com/moonlp53.htm

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Good advice and thanks for the info. My only concern at this point is that I'm chasing good money after bad with new cartridges that may not fit on a new table (I know mine needs replacing) and alignment tools and the like when my current table doesn't hold speed on 45's reliably, won't stay very level, has a bad plastic plater, etc, etc.

I may just be better served to find a better (lightly) used, low end table that has good upgrade opportunites down the line if I chose to go that way (like the Rega P1, Pro-Ject Debut, etc.)

I will check out those preamps you mentioned though. I saw somewhere that had a great deal on the Bellari tube phono pres, but didn't quite gage what output of cartridge they expect.