Recording Industry Poker Tournament

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Reitzas
audio school graduate

Recording Industry Poker Tournament

Post by Reitzas » Mon May 18, 2009 12:38 pm

I've had this idea for many years that's finally coming together, and I wanted to share it with everyone as it's developing.

With the help of Karen Dunn Margroff (of the TEC Awards and the Mix Golf Tourney) and Jeff Greenberg (of The Village Recording Studios), I am finally organizing the first Record Industry Poker Tournament for Charity, set for Sunday, July 19. Jeff has graciously offered the upstairs ballroom at The Village for the tournament and Karen will use her years of experience as the coordinator of the golf tournament and TEC Awards to pull in the best sponsors for this event and make sure the players have an exciting day. We'll be able to accommodate about 120 people to compete in a No Limit Texas Hold 'Em Tournament for gear, software and other cool prizes. If you've ever been to The Village ballroom, you know how awesome this place will be for our event. Tournament profits will be donated to Sound Art L.A. (a local charity that teaches music and recording to underprivileged kids). http://www.soundartla.org/

Starting this week we'll be contacting gear manufacturers and software developers for product donations. The response from the companies I've contacted so far has been extremely enthusiastic and we're anticipating some amazing prizes for the top 40 or so players, with the best prizes reserved for the final table players.

We are hiring a company that deals with every detail of putting together poker tournaments, including providing the best dealers, tables, chairs, chips, cards, and a tournament director, so it will be very organized and professional. They also give out poker swag at special moments during the game! This will be an amazing event and will sell out fast, so start brushing up on your poker skills.

If you haven't been contacted by the end of this week and you are a gear manufacturer or software developer who would like to donate product to the tournament, please email Karen@kmdpro.com and she'll send you a formal donation request with all the details and benefits. We have big plans for media exposure and the buzz in the room will be great PR for all your products donated. And let's not forget--all profits will go directly to charity!

I'll update this post as we get the website up and running and we announce the registration date and details of the event.

Looking forward to making this the best possible event with your help!

Thanks!

Dave Reitzas
dave@reitzas.com
http://www.reitzas.com

JamesHE
steve albini likes it

Post by JamesHE » Mon May 18, 2009 2:16 pm

If I have a middle pair on the button and it's an unraised pot do you suggest I limp in with my Art MP, hoping to trap if I make a set, or should I raise it up to something like GT Brick and try to push some hands out of the pot?

GOod luck with the event!
a spoon full weighs a ton

http://soundcloud.com/james-eure

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon May 18, 2009 2:19 pm

JamesHE wrote:If I have a middle pair on the button and it's an unraised pot do you suggest I limp in with my Art MP, hoping to trap if I make a set, or should I raise it up to something like GT Brick and try to push some hands out of the pot?

You're gonna want to play that hand heads up if you can't take it down pre flop. If the table is tight, I say raise. If it's loose, limp. If there's an active/aggressive player to you left just fold now.

This sounds like a great event folks. I wish I was going to be in LA when it's going on!

JamesHE
steve albini likes it

Post by JamesHE » Mon May 18, 2009 2:26 pm

drumsound wrote:
JamesHE wrote:If I have a middle pair on the button and it's an unraised pot do you suggest I limp in with my Art MP, hoping to trap if I make a set, or should I raise it up to something like GT Brick and try to push some hands out of the pot?

You're gonna want to play that hand heads up if you can't take it down pre flop. If the table is tight, I say raise. If it's loose, limp. If there's an active/aggressive player to you left just fold now.

This sounds like a great event folks. I wish I was going to be in LA when it's going on!

Thanks! but...

What if I have steve albini to my left?

(oh crap I wouldn't have semi-hijacked this thread if I had known you'd make it a sticky! ~ hides)
Last edited by JamesHE on Mon May 18, 2009 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon May 18, 2009 2:30 pm

JamesHE wrote:
drumsound wrote:

Thanks! but...

What if I have steve albini to my left?
I've not played with Steve. I do know he's an avid and knowledgeable player, so be cautious. How has he been playing. Is it a cash game or a tourney? Where are the blinds? How's your stack compared to the rest of the table?

JamesHE
steve albini likes it

Post by JamesHE » Mon May 18, 2009 2:44 pm

I'm short stacked with only about 11 Big Blinds left.

Steve has been quiet after getting the early chip lead, but now has lost the chip lead to Sully from Godsmack who flopped a full house to double up through Steve's nut flush.

I suspect Steve is now on tilt.

Should I push all in?

And what compressor do you suggest when pushing all in pre-flop?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon May 18, 2009 2:58 pm

JamesHE wrote:I'm short stacked with only about 11 Big Blinds left.

Steve has been quiet after getting the early chip lead, but now has lost the chip lead to Sully from Godsmack who flopped a full house to double up through Steve's nut flush.

I suspect Steve is now on tilt.

Should I push all in?

And what compressor do you suggest when pushing all in pre-flop?
11- big blinds and you have a pair? PUSH BABY! Apply a healthy dose of the SSL quad comp so Albini knows that your serious!

Reitzas
audio school graduate

Post by Reitzas » Tue May 19, 2009 5:15 pm

The donations are starting to roll in!!

Just want to start getting an idea of how many players are interested in participating, so please post if you think you might want to join us.

The buy-in will be $100 with an optional $50 rebuy. A small investment for an opportunity to win some cool prizes. I'll be posting the list of donations as in the weeks to come and it's looking good so far

Dave Reitzas
www.reitzas.com

Reitzas
audio school graduate

Post by Reitzas » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:41 pm

When I first came up with the idea for this tournament, I had a dream that one of the prizes players would be competing for would be a Bricasti M7 reverb.

Well, I'm extremely thrilled to announce today that my dream has come true!
Bricasti has graciously committed to donating a brand spankin' new Bricasti M7 reverb to the tournament as one of the Grand Prizes.

This is just one of the many exciting things yet to be announced.

Next week we're going to officially launch the website with all the details and soon after, open up registration.

I'll keep you posted.

Dave Reitzas

Reitzas
audio school graduate

Post by Reitzas » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:34 pm

Amazing update!!

Fletcher gave me the amazing news that Telefunken is in with an incredibly generous donation for the tournament- A genuine TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik ELA M 251 F. Yep, no sh*t... a real ELA M 251 F!!! ...an $8,500 USD value [as of the 6/15/09 price sheet].

The prizes are starting to roll in big time with exciting donations from major audio companies!
The website is almost done and registration starts soon.

If you don't know how to play poker yet, now is a good time to start learning. There's still 6 1/2 weeks left until the tournament.

I'll let you know when the site is up.

Dave Reitzas

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:21 am

Dayum, a Bricasti and an Elam 251 F as prizes? I think just playing with a bunch of industry cats would be fun!

Reitzas
audio school graduate

Post by Reitzas » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:22 pm

The website is up and the prize list keeps growing. Check it out at;

www.ri-pt.net

Registration is going extremely well and there are big name engineers, producers, and musicians that are confirmed to play. This event is open to anyone that makes music, so if you want a chance to hang out with some greats of the industry, sign up before it's too late.

Thanks,

Dave Reitzas
www.reitzas.com

Reitzas
audio school graduate

Post by Reitzas » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:36 pm

Time is running out and there are still seats available. Please come join us.

Here's the link to the website again- www.ri-pt.net

And here's the link to the video about the prizes-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DYT5kN_hy8

Thanks!

Dave Reitzas
www.reitzas.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:55 pm

Dave,

Who won?

Also if the name is Recording Industry Poker TOUR, you guys really need to move this thing around. My hope is for an event at Electrical in Chicago. Steve Albini and the gang up there love poker!

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by aitikin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:33 pm

If there's one in Chicago, depending on my financial standing, I'd buy in.
"It's not a recording studio without a lava lamp"
~Mark Rubel

"Don't meddle in the affairs of a patent dragon, for thou art tasty and good with ketchup." ~ohcrapitssteve