Those retro-ass pastel-lookin' Panasonic cans

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Those retro-ass pastel-lookin' Panasonic cans

Post by inverseroom » Thu May 21, 2009 5:13 pm

Anybody have these? They are cheap and look cool, and I need a few pairs of utility cans to have around the house. And to look like a hipster douchebag on the bus to work. If they sound decent, I'm on the case.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Thu May 21, 2009 6:14 pm

I thought I could see into the future, & then I realized I was just vaguely remembering the past:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... avid+clark

I still think they look like David Clark's vomit (or a 70's refrigerator), & I'm still not sure if I'm the only person on the board familiar with David Clark headsets.

So be the board's guinea pig, inverse! Let us know how good it feels to wear electronic vomit on your ears.

ThePitz
gettin' sounds

Post by ThePitz » Thu May 21, 2009 8:48 pm

My roommate has these. I've only ever used 'em once - and it was stuff that we were recording together - so I wasn't familiar with how the material "really" sounded.

I think they sounded pretty good, if I recall... I seem to remember them having a really detailed midrange...

Still - rather hazy memories... I'll see if I can borrow 'em tomorrow and give some of my reference albums a spin.

-pitz
tra la la

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri May 22, 2009 4:54 am

winky dinglehoffer wrote:I thought I could see into the future, & then I realized I was just vaguely remembering the past:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... avid+clark

I still think they look like David Clark's vomit (or a 70's refrigerator), & I'm still not sure if I'm the only person on the board familiar with David Clark headsets.

So be the board's guinea pig, inverse! Let us know how good it feels to wear electronic vomit on your ears.
:lol:

I totally forgot I posted that! Well, I've gone a full year and a half without buying extra headphones, but now it's getting desperate, as my kids both have mp3 players now and all the earbuds in the house are either missing or covered with greasy kid wax. I'll probably end up getting a couple pairs. Or posting this again in late 2010.

How could I have forgotten typing the words Dave Clark Puke?

mjau
speech impediment

Re: Those retro-ass pastel-lookin' Panasonic cans

Post by mjau » Fri May 22, 2009 6:53 am

inverseroom wrote:And to look like a hipster douchebag on the bus to work.
WIN!

decocco
pushin' record

Post by decocco » Fri May 22, 2009 9:14 am

winky dinglehoffer wrote:[/quote]I'm still not sure if I'm the only person on the board familiar with David Clark headsets.

I used those David Clark thingy's years ago whilst flying in aeroplanes. They are a most vomitous shade of green.
-Chris D.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Those retro-ass pastel-lookin' Panasonic cans

Post by inverseroom » Fri May 22, 2009 12:53 pm

mjau wrote:
inverseroom wrote:And to look like a hipster douchebag on the bus to work.
WIN!
Ha ha!, until you realize I often sit with your wife! Once she sees me rockin' those bile-green noggin zits, you just won't look so good to her anymore.

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Fri May 22, 2009 2:43 pm

They are actually pretty good. I got a pair for my son to use w/ his DS. Target had 'em pretty cheap, as I recall.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat May 23, 2009 5:55 pm

I actually dig the color. I have a foot stool in my studio that color. Yeah, its covered in nagauhyde.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun May 24, 2009 12:11 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:I actually dig the color. I have a foot stool in my studio that color. Yeah, its covered in nagauhyde.
You heartless bastard. Do you know how many Naugaus they have to kill just to cover your foot stool? Don't even get me started on jackets and couches...

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun May 24, 2009 12:31 pm

drumsound wrote:
calaverasgrandes wrote:I actually dig the color. I have a foot stool in my studio that color. Yeah, its covered in nagauhyde.
You heartless bastard. Do you know how many Naugaus they have to kill just to cover your foot stool? Don't even get me started on jackets and couches...
the horror of vintage Kustom amps!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun May 24, 2009 2:08 pm

Really, I never seen Kustoms in anything but black and white nauga. If there was an avacado green one then I would have to form a band just to justify owning one.
My first bass amp was a kustom PA head I got from the keyboardist of the meters. It sucked ass.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun May 24, 2009 6:04 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:Really, I never seen Kustoms in anything but black and white nauga. If there was an avacado green one then I would have to form a band just to justify owning one.
My first bass amp was a kustom PA head I got from the keyboardist of the meters. It sucked ass.
back in the late 80s my cousin borrowed a purple sparkle roll and tuck Kustom bass head with matching 2x15" cabinet.

for awhile i couldn't decide if it looked gorgeous or hideous, but eventually decided the answer was yes.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun May 24, 2009 6:14 pm

I just googled it. Strooth. Weird, I do recall seeing one or two white ones, but never any funny color ones. And I did live sound for ....15 years? Maybe I just never noticed. Hard to imagine. I am a totally gearwhore.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue May 26, 2009 11:53 am

Almost every Kustom I've ever seen has been black or blue sparkle. I like the blue sparkle batter!