tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Fri May 22, 2009 12:10 pm

Do you need a partial accelerator to burn them? :wink:
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat May 23, 2009 6:02 pm

they say 3000 feature length movies. I'd like to see a format with ZERO compression, and full fidelity audio. My home theatre setup pretty much kills most movie theatres on everything but size. and well, the horrific banding you see in even the best dvds.
Maybe blu-ray or hddvd fix this, I dont know. Too busy to evaluate non-music gear right now.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

beefy
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by beefy » Sun May 24, 2009 11:35 am

The blue ray fixes all that. I watched Hunt for Red October on one and that's not even in HD and the picture was incredible. The technology hasn't ever been advanced enough to recreate the quality of what the cameras actually captured until recently. The problem with the 1.6 tg dvd is your dvd player won't be able to read them even if you upgraded the firmware becuase the optics aren't designed to be able to read color Just the layers. They have blue rays that will be able to be read, with the current blue ray optics in the players that will hold 400 gigs and they working on one that will hold 1tb. Thats with out adding other dimensions

So that technology there working on is kind of like the people working on the cloud. the cloud is an idea where we won't have storage on our computers but at one remote location, they say it would be so our home computers will process faster, but it was really an idea these researchers came up with in the 80s when hard disk memory was so expensive most home computers didn't even have it not realizing by the the time the technology caught up to there idea storage on home computers would cost about 10 cents a gigabyte, which was probably the amount of memory they were planning on having in the servers in the cloud. that would take up about as much space as a wal mart warehouse.

By the time they can make it affordable for us to by the dvd players and burners it would take to use those disks they will have blue ray or other disks so big that those seem out of date by about 5 to 10 years And even if they could get those dvds to work on your dvd player it still won't render anything in hd audio or video. Thats pretty much a group of scientists beating a dead horse.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun May 24, 2009 2:18 pm

actually not so true. Cloud computing is totally taking off!
One of my day jobs (25 hours a week) is for a cloud storage service called Syncplicity. And we arent the only one. There are about half a dozen contenders just in the cloud storage market. There are lots of big companies like amazon and google that are reselling their overbuilt infrastructure capacity as cloud storage/computing. You cant buy it directly, you have to go thru a middleware provider like us.
A lot of the value in cloud computing and cloud storage isnt in the actual storage space itself. It's in the off-site nature (backups) and the decentralization of access. (you can log in on any computer with a browser). Expect a lot of these services to start popping up on blackberrys and iphones. Especially when adobe gets their act together and ports flash to the mobile world!
But about the terabyte disc. It is a cool idea, but everything is moving away from physical storage. It all just bits flying through the internet (or the air).
I think that is part of the reason HDDVD and blue ray are faltering. Only jerks like me have a problem with DVD image quality. And most folks are willing to settle for lower quality media they can download via iTunes or netflix.

PS I'm not trying to shill for the company. Why would I? I have to answer all the support requests!

beefy

Post by beefy » Sun May 24, 2009 3:25 pm

Only time will tell.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun May 24, 2009 3:38 pm

indeed. I think the whole optical disk medium is starting to wear thin on consumers. they scratch too easily. DVDs worse than Cds. At least a CD will play with a few scratches. DVDs (and I am sure blueray) will cause a player to barf if it has just one scratch at the wrong angle and depth.
i'd like to see something more akin to Sony UMD. smaller, with a built in case to protect the media. though of course without all the damn proprietary shizz.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon May 25, 2009 1:58 pm

maybe optical media will eventually go the way of the diskette (which still exists but is now quite rare), but i think hard drives will be with us for a long long time yet.

removable media, flash or whatever comes after it, will also be needed for a long time to come.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon May 25, 2009 2:09 pm

Well we had physical media which required physical contact for along time. (tape, vinyl etc) but optical replaced that because it was supposed to be more robust. No contact, you cant wear it out right? Except cassettes and Vinyl are actually more robust. you can play a funy tape or scratched up record. It just isnt as ...pristine. however CDs just go to hell with one good scratch. So I think if there is another new media it has to address those issues.
This and people are getting more used to instant delivery methods. Not just iTunes but also Snocap, Amazon, netflix and a few others. notice the demise of video rental stores? The only ones I see around here are niche stores. Hollywood video and blockbuster.....poof!
I would be surprised if the next gen of game consoles even uses media at all.

beefy

Post by beefy » Mon May 25, 2009 5:35 pm

I think it would be sweet to have something we could just plug in to some type of hard disk player, like having an ipod that plugs into your car radio but for movies. They can make hard disk storage small with a lot of storage space with high transfer speeds and that's available today. I'd don't know how many HD movies you can fit in a TB but The HD dvds were 25 gigs and I dont think that was all taken up by the movie it self. Even so that's 40 movies in full HD so you would probably want about ten TB of space on you removable hard disk so maybe it's not feasible today but in a year or 2 it would be.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue May 26, 2009 2:24 pm

gear talk?

ckeene
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ckeene » Tue May 26, 2009 7:05 pm

joel hamilton wrote:gear talk?
This thread is a little theoretical, but a discussion of the future of digital storage is probably more useful than the umpteenth cheap-mic-pre thread, don't you think?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed May 27, 2009 5:20 am

ckeene wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:gear talk?
This thread is a little theoretical, but a discussion of the future of digital storage is probably more useful than the umpteenth cheap-mic-pre thread, don't you think?
I do think so. Just putting it out there. We certainly do not need another "cheap mic pre" thread, as you put it.